Menu

Happy Phonics anyone?

mama2cntrykids

I'm looking for ppl who have used the program from Love to Learn? I'm looking at it for my 3 yr. old dd who wants to learn how to read. She turned three last May and recently she has said she wants to be able to read books. I told her she needs to know her letters/letter sounds first. So, we've been working on that for the past week and she knows 2-3 letter sounds consistantly.

Now my question: Do you think she'd be ready for Happy Phonics or should I hold off until she has more letter recognition and knows more letter sounds? OR, is it just up her alley??

I love the sounds of it. It sounds like a fun way to learn!

Thanks to anyone who can help me:001_smile:.

I used it with my 12 year old when he was 5. So it's been a while. But I believe it has letter recognition and letter sounds all built into the games. One of the first games to play is muffin match. It's simply matching Uppercase and Lowercase letters. So I think she would be able to use it now to help her learn her letters and sounds. My sister taught her 3 year old to read using Happy Phonics.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Get her the leap frog videos and she'll have all the sounds memorized in a week.

We actually have those and she's watched them twice in the past week or so. We are also using those Lauri crape (sp?) foam linking letters. We sing the "Leap Frog" song, "Every letter makes a sound the ___ says ___" as we are linking them together. Then, when they are all done, we start at "A" and do the ABC song. She likes that a lot, but I know it will start getting old.

I'm also going to supplement her with starfall.com. Happy Phonics sounds so cozy though!

Whatever you decided to do, buy it used! I spent 9 hours cutting it all out and organizing it! Totally worth it, but took a lot of time. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Yes, it was a lot of work! Happy Phonics and AAS drove me crazy with all of the cutting.

The games do start with matching sounds and letters. My younger dd really loved those matching muffins!

Thanks for the info everyone. It sounds like dd might not be quite ready for this yet. Like I said, she only knows 2-3 letter and their sounds. I think she mostly just knows the sounds they make and not what the actual letter is named.

I will keep working with her and see in a couple of months or so. Another question though. How far does the program take them?? Is this more a preschool program or kindergarten would you say? Does it go up to blending CVC words or not?

Thanks again!

My just-turned 3yo is learning sooo much from The Letter Factory videos. She's allowed to watch one a day (30 min.). She knows almost all of the letter sounds and about 7 of the letter names. My (now) 6yo ds also learned his letter sounds from The Letter Factory videos before he was even 3yo. I wasn't even aware he had learned them until he was playing with the letter magnets we had on the fridge one day and I heard him saying the sounds as he put the letters on. The Letter Factory videos make learning the letter sounds a breeze, then you can just go from there with blending into words.

:lol: We loved Happy Phonics--three sounds about the right age for it, also.

(the smile is for me son):D

I had e-mailed Diane at lovetolearn.net and basically asked her the same questions. She said my daughter should be ready for it!! I need to give it more time though because we don't have the $$ right now:001_huh:.

Thank you everyone for their responses!:001_smile: