Menu

Junior Great Books

SunshineMom

This may seem obvious, but have you been to the JGB web site? It's a bit of a maze to get what you want, but they do have sample lesson plans, questions, descriptions, etc. They also have a section for homeschoolers somewhere on the site, too. http://www.greatbooks.org

I researched JGB this past summer, and have seen it instituted in the classroom. They have different levels aimed at early elementary, middle, etc. The cost for the materials is not exhorbitant, but I believe the training they offer is a few hundred for a two-day seminar. I think you could probably do it yourself with the materials, though.

It's a wide selection of material that they use for the books, not just the "classics". Their teaching method has gotten great results in the schools where implemented, however. A lot of the questions/discussion is based upon the Socratic method (however, "Socratic" means many things to many people), and they have specific categories for the type of questions to ask.

You can also choose to call a company representative, which might be your best bet. They could probably ensure you get specifically what you're seeking.

Good luck!

They've totally revamped their web site since I visited this summer. Unfortunately, it isn't much easier to use.

Here is one link:

http://www.greatbooks.org/programs-for-all-ages/junior/parent-volunteers-homeschoolers/homeschooling-and-junior-great-books.html

It doesn't contain a whole lot of info, but perhaps it will help a little.

I have the 3rd grade materials. For a homeschooler, the teacher's guide is too much for what you get. The reading level of the stories also seems low to me, though I may not be calibrated properly. The journal would be busywork for my son who doesn't particularly enjoy writing if it's assigned. I will have to modify the program considerably to make it work in a homeschooling situation.

We'll probably use it because I have it, but I won't be getting another level.

Have you looked at Suppose a Wolf Were an Octopus series at Royal Fireworks Press? It has a series of questions for many good books. It is much cheaper and I think is more workable for a one-on-one situation.

In what seems now like long ago, I bought the 5th grade series and the teacher guide. Couldn't get anyone to sign up at my local library to do a group (librarian said that after 5th grade, ps kids are too busy and don't read anyway!! Her comment, not mine)

I thought the stories were very good, but no where near enough for a complete English program. My advice is to pick up the books at a used book sale (there's always stacks of them at our library sale) and use them for free-reading or a supplement.

Danielle

• 2 weeks later...

I have found many activities and comprehension questions that are free online. Instead of buying a packaged program, I am collecting a list of Newberry Award winners along with online sites. 6.5dd just started Winn-Dixie and I found a ton of sites full of suggestions. We can do a lot of these activities or little. She loves the simple comprehension questions that are computerized. Winn-Dixie is set for 4th graders so some of the activities (writing mostly) I wouldn't ask her to do. I am working on an "every book outline"such as what is(1) point of view of the book (2) main characters (3) sequence of events (4) moral of the story (5)similar to another book? Right now I am keeping this mostly oral but I would like to move into more writing using diagrams or something similar. I would also like her to do "book report kinds of things" like make a poster of characters, play act or create a booklet, etc. She is 6 so we are going to have fun! Maybe even do a "Lit Crit" time after the book is read, we will see.

I have used Junior Great Books since Grade 2 level and we love it. We are now finishing Grade 7 (and will be starting A Christmas Carol soon). We read the stories together and follow the teacher guide for discussion. The literature is excellent and we always enjoy the activities and thoughtful questions that provoke different perspectives on the issues in the stories.

Highly recommended, even with a couple of kids.