Menu

My ds is getting braces today and I'm more nervous than he is.

My 13 yr ds is getting braces today to correct a severe overbite. Let me preface this with, I have an unnatural phobia of dentist and dentist related things. We made the appointment today because my dh thought he had the day off. Well that fell through so now I'm on my own. And we have to drive 45 minutes to the office. I am a bit nervous about the whole thing.

I also think the unknown is a bit disconcerting. This boy is not known to be the most conscientious so I'm worried about the maintenance too. And he's hyper-sensitive so I can just imagine the next few days as he makes the adjustment to the braces in his mouth.

Yikes!

My dd got them in August (bite problem, too). She adjusted so well, and hasn't had much pain at all. She did get some sores the first week, but used the rinse and that took care of it. The most difficult thing for her to get used to was only her back teeth were touching. I'm not sure if it's that way with everyone. That is closing some, but slowly. She hasn't broken any wires or had to use wax since the first week.

I hope this reassures you some. I didn't have braces, but need them badly (and still do). I think they've come along way on the pain level since I was growing up.

My dd got them in August (bite problem, too). She adjusted so well, and hasn't had much pain at all. She did get some sores the first week, but used the rinse and that took care of it. The most difficult thing for her to get used to was only her back teeth were touching. I'm not sure if it's that way with everyone. That is closing some, but slowly. She hasn't broken any wires or had to use wax since the first week.

I hope this reassures you some. I didn't have braces, but need them badly (and still do). I think they've come along way on the pain level since I was growing up.

Thank you. It's good to hear people's experiences. I think you're right that they've come a long way. I too could have used braces and suffer from TMJ now as an adult. (Although I did break my jaw when I was a child so that might have something to do with it.)

Anyway we're off in about twenty minutes. I think I'll stop at Starbucks as a treat for me (we don't have one in our community). After all, it seems the parents suffers as much as the child.

My biggest piece of advice for braces:

Take him to get lunch/dinner immediately after he gets them on. For the first hour-ish, they don't hurt. After that, they start hurting more and more and make eating miserable for a few days. So take him to eat whatever he wants tonight. And then make a lot of soft foods for the next few days. :)

My biggest piece of advice for braces:

Take him to get lunch/dinner immediately after he gets them on. For the first hour-ish, they don't hurt. After that, they start hurting more and more and make eating miserable for a few days. So take him to eat whatever he wants tonight. And then make a lot of soft foods for the next few days. :)

Uh that is good advice. I was wondering about food tonight. He'll be done at the ortho around 3ish and then we have an hour drive home. Maybe I'll stop somewhere and pick him up something to eat for the trip home. (This should be interesting given the appetite this boy, who is growing an inch a day, has.)

Thanks.