Menu

Mastery of a subject

Ds12 is enjoying doing Galore Park's "So you really want to learn Latin". He is doing "ok". He gets a range of 70% to 85% on his daily assignments. His average for the 6 weeks of school that he's had so far is a 81% - not great, not horrible. But his average is boosted by certain exercises that he's really good at - derivatives, translation from Latin to English. It is pulled down by exercises that he barely passes - forms and translation from English to Latin. I don't care about the grades - that's just a tool to let me see his progress more objectively. I've decided that we will add on an extra book - the Latin Prep Workbook that is a companion the one we are doing now.

Here's my question. He has finished 6 chapters of the main book. There are 10 chapters in all. The Workbooks are for 5 chapters at a time. Should I have him finished the entire main book and then have him go back and do the workbooks? Or should I stop and have him do Workbook A (which covers chapters 1 - 5) now. Then start him on Workbook B and have him do it concurrent with finishing up the last 5 chapters? What do you think?

Are you using SY Latin or SY Latin Prep? I wasn't clear from your post.

I think you are moving quite fast, whichever you are using. Each book is designed to be used over the course of a year, so consolidation sounds like a good idea. I would stop now and use the first workbook. The further you get, the more snarled up he will become if some areas have not been well practised. He also needs to be really concentrating on learning the forms as they come up, as he will just grind to a halt otherwise.

If you are using SY Latin, then the workbook won't exactly match up with the text book, but should still be usable.

Best wishes

Laura