Menu

DS 14, 9th grade is very anxious to take PSAT tomorrow because he doesn't feel

prepared. He wants to know why I'm sending him in to fail. I feel like this is a good opportunity for him to be exposed to the exam before it counts. Please, please tell me if I am mistaken.

He is just beginning algebra now, so the math skills are definitely not there, but I thought that this would be a good exposure for him.

Help????:confused:

Why is he anxious? Is this his usual response to high stakes testing? How have his practice test scores been? If they have been above the 50th % tile I think he should give it a try for the experience of high stakes testing which incidentally starts in junior high and ends when you earn an MD,JD, or PhD. In other words, the testing never ends and the stakes get higher. If he has not been adequately prepared I would not have him take it and do poorly. At the age of 14 it is still reasonable for you to have had him do several timed tests, help in making a study schedule etc. if that support and leadership was not present I think he should wait until he is properly prepared. If however all the support materials and mentoring was available and he simply blew off studying I think that natural consequences dicatate that he be allowed to sink or swim. In my view it is about much, much more than the test. This is a character issue , a life skills issue and time management course all wrapped up into one. He is young so nothing is lost if he is not prepared to sit for the exam. These are just difficult and only become moreso the higher the degree one is seeking. I have trained students for years to take these including the LSAT , GMAT, GRE and MCAT writing portion and the most salient feature shared by successful testers is the amount of practice testing done as preparation.

We only recently found out that he was able to take the test in the 9th grade. He has gone over the practice test and has looked at the daily questions.

As far as the math goes, he is just beginning Algebra and as a result, definitely does not feel prepared for the math portion.

I guess I was looking at this as an opportunity for him to see what the test is like before it counts.

I suppose I should ask, can work against him if the scores are low?

We only recently found out that he was able to take the test in the 9th grade. He has gone over the practice test and has looked at the daily questions.

As far as the math goes, he is just beginning Algebra and as a result, definitely does not feel prepared for the math portion.

I guess I was looking at this as an opportunity for him to see what the test is like before it counts.

I suppose I should ask, can work against him if the scores are low?

No, the only one that "counts" is the test taken during junior year.

I had my dd take it as a soph with no prep at all. She scored within range of qualifying for our state, so when she took it as a junior, we did some fairly serious prep, including a full blown practice test as well as some other one-section (25 minutes each) tests.

thinking to myself that I hadn't heard from you. I miss you! :)

I'm rarely here ~ or anywhere online, really. In part because I just don't feel likely hanging out in front of the screen, and in part because I had computer issues, followed by (ongoing) ISP issues. Case in point, I don't recall getting email from you. I'm sorry! Don't cross me off your friends list!:)

My 9th grader is taking it also, purely for practice. She took the SAT last spring (and did work some practice tests). This time she is taking the PSAT without practicing, just for the test taking experience. Her score doesn't really matter, and isn't why she's taking it now. I'm not losing any sleep over it and neither is she.

Tell ds that he can't fail the test - the is no minimum passing score. He'll do better than most 9th graders because they didn't even take it.

If the average 9th grader could do well, there would be a problem with the test.

He is just beginning algebra now, so the math skills are definitely not there, but I thought that this would be a good exposure for him.

Does he have any of the skills -- does he have solid geometry at a jr. hi level? Is he fast at computation? Is he good with the English language?

If he'll do okay in some areas, I'd go ahead. If it'll all be hopeless, then I'd do timed testing at home.

JMHO.

Julie