Menu

Speaking of glasses...contacts for youngsters?

After reading the thread about glasses for a very young one, I was reminded of something. My dd8 has worn glasses since she was 4 almost 5. She has asked for the past 2 years to get contacts (DH and I both have contacts). Our eye doctor said he doesn't recommend them until children are 10 & even then only for part time (during sporting events, dance, etc.).

Our dd is involved in several sports & I know having contacts would make things easier for her...DH & I have both been there, done that with sports & glasses vs. contacts. I am trying to decide if I should seek out another eye doctor who is more willing to allow a 9 year old to try contacts or if I should wait it out. DD really wants contacts & brings it up a lot. She is very mature for her age & I believe she would take care of them the way you are supposed to. Since DH & I both wear them, we can help her as well.

What would you do? BTW, we would still adhere to the "contacts only during sports" for a while & have her wear glasses the rest of the time.

Our eye doctor (who I trust very much) says he'll fit them for contacts at 10 yo, earlier if they are mature. It sounds like your dd would fit into the latter group. We are finally going to try them with ds who is 11.5 yo because he would like to give up the sports goggles he's been wearing.

I would shop around for someone who would do it. Or ask your current eye doc if he'd consider letting her try. She's got parental support and experience on her side.

Thanks for your replies. I really want her to be able to try contacts. She is mature for her age & responsible. So, I think she should be able to handle it, expecially with DH & I there to help & support her.

She wants them more for playing sports than for "looks". She isn't much into caring about what others think about how she looks...yet. :D And no one has ever made fun of her, thankfully. So I think allowing her to wear them while participating in sports would be a great way to get her used to wearing them & caring for them. I guess I'll bring it up with our eye doctor again & go from there. Then if he still will not allow her to try them, I'll seek out another doctor.

My DD got them at 9 because she had trouble at her dance competitions with not being able to see without her glasses and not being able to dance with them. She also plays lacrosse and can't wear glasses under her eye cage.

I have worn them for 20 years so understood the cleaning etc. We (her eye dr and I) decided that for a young girl the daily disposable were perfect (although a bit more expensive) because she could learn to wear them without initially taking on the task of all the cleaning. It has been a perfect solution for the past 2 years. Eventually we will transition her to different ones but this is a great solution for a young child. She still wears her glasses many days so the daily wear aren't as expensive as they would be if she wore them every day.

My only regret is that I have passed my horrible eyesight onto my children! :tongue_smilie: We have no regrets about the contacts - I would recommend going for it.

Thanks for sharing. It's encouraging to hear others having success with contacts at a young age. I am hoping our doctor will be open to contacts this time. I am sure it will help my dd with sports. She wears a face mask in softball & it puts a lot of pressure on her face because of how it fits with the glasses. The peripherial (sp?) vision is also hindered with glasses...something that can be alleviated by wearing contacts.

Thanks again!

It is not so much of an age thing as it is a maturity thing. What the rules are in my father's practice is that you must be able to put in your contacts, remove them and demonstrate that you can clean and care for them before he will prescribe them or let you leave with trials. That rule goes for anyone. However he does not recommend them for children younger then the 10ish age because well for one the maturity thing but also the fact that contacts are made for adult eyes no the eyes of a child and although our eyes at birth are almost as big as the will be at full maturity they are not full grown and will fit a contact differently then they are designed to fit.