Menu

A book series similar to Magic Tree House...

LarlaB

My DD really enjoys listening to Magic Tree House books on CD during her 'rest time' everyday. She averages 1-2 hours of listening everyday. We've already borrowed and listened to all the MTH books that our library has in circulation, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend another series for us to try out...

She is almost 6, has pretty decent comprehension and attention span. However, since she is listening to some of this on her own I want to make sure that the content is appropriate.

Would Boxcar children be on the roughly the same age level?

Thank you!

Laura

My dd, who loved (and still does, hehe) MTH, loved listening to:

The Chronicles of Narnia (unabridged)

Charlotte's Web, with her stuffed pig of course

Uncle Remus, Old Mother West Wind, anything narrated by Julius Lester who does fabulous voices

Little House on the Prairie

Of those, the Little House series is probably the easiest. My dd loves the Boxcar books too, but honestly I'd consider saving them and letting her read them herself in a year. The reason libraries have these easier books on tape is because kids are reading along in books while listening to them (because they aren't taught phonics in school). I'd use something a bit more well-written for read alouds and save the easy readers for when they're ready to read them for themselves. But that's just me. When you have good books on tape, the voices the narrator uses are so engrossing, it pretty much gets them over the comprehension hurdle.

I'm glad your dd liked the audio of MTH. My son thought it was the pits, after having read a few for himself. :tongue_smilie:

I second the boxcar children. There's also Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little, which I think are great as audio. The one's I've heard in audio have a British accent, which is a bit of a challenge for the kids, sometimes. But my guys think it's great now. I've been hearing them reciting the Narnia books with a hint of a British accent too. :lol: Also Mouse and the Motorcycle and Mr. Popper's Penguins.