Menu

Who is your favorite publisher for literature classics?

I plan to supply each of my children with their own copies of the literature books (classics) that they have to read for school. Which books have you found to hold up the best, have the easiest/largest print, not yellow or turn brittle over time, contain the least spine damage, have the best translations for foreign classics, etc.? Also do you prefer hardcover or paperback? I plan to purchase the first dozen or so for my eldest this week (during the B&N teacher appreciation days.)

I am currently leaning toward paperback, either the Penguin classics or the larger print Barnes and Noble classics, but would love to hear the opinion of others.

We have not found that one publisher suits us, particularly because of translations. For example, when my son read Don Quixote, we found it best to sit down at Barnes and Noble with the four or five versions that they had on their shelves and see which one was the most accessible for him. (Grossman, as it turned out.) Similarly, different translations of The Odyssey will resonate with different readers as was discussed in WEM.

To be honest, we have not compared every edition of every book read in high school. Sometimes the book is sitting on the shelf of our home already and is thus the convenient choice, maybe not the best choice.

Another recommendation that I have for acquiring books is your local library sale. Classics are often readily available for a song. Not that I lack appreciation for beautiful books, but an inexpensive copy is one that a student can mark up.

Best,

Jane

We have not found that one publisher suits us, particularly because of translations. For example, when my son read Don Quixote, we found it best to sit down at Barnes and Noble with the four or five versions that they had on their shelves and see which one was the most accessible for him. (Grossman, as it turned out.) Similarly, different translations of The Odyssey will resonate with different readers as was discussed in WEM.

Agreeing with Jane regarding the accessibility of different translations. In our case, we learned it when we read Les Miserables. The first translation we had made it seem as though we were slogging through mud. We were so happy when we came upon another translation that made the reading so much more pleasurable! The translation we liked was by Norman Denny.

Regards,

Kareni