Menu

Duncan, Oklahoma

Duncan is a fairly small town. It's about 2 hours to Oklahoma City or to Norman (where the University of Oklahoma is located, a nice sized college town). Chickasha or Lawton are the closest decent sized towns and they're about an hour away.

I've never lived in Duncan but I'm originally from Oklahoma. :)

Mrs. Mungo is right.

Duncan is a small town that is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. It is in the south western part of the state.

Lawton is probably the largest town around Duncan but even this is about an hours drive away. Chickasha is closer to Duncan (probably within 45 minutes) but it isn't near as big as Lawton. Chickasha does have a university there (USAO) University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma. My husband graduated from USAO. It is a good school.

OKC is at least 1.5 to 2 hours from Duncan. Norman (hometown of OU) would be about the same.

It really is out in the middle of nowhere and is an older sleepy town.

But were you aware that they have an attraction in Duncan where you can actually see (with your own eyes) ruts in the earth etched by the hooves of some of the millions of cattle who roamed the Chisholm Trail?

Admission is only $5. And reservations are required.

Duncan sounds homeschool friendly :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
left out an "article"

But were you aware that they have an attraction in Duncan where you can actually see (with your own eyes) ruts in the earth etched by the hooves of some of millions of cattle who roamed the Chisholm Trail?

Bill

Funny, While my dad was in Law School, in Tulsa, we finally got a little black and white tv to watch. (Because they wanted to watch a football game!)

So, our shows that we were allowed to watch were... Perry Mason....

and Rawhide!

Carrie:-)

PS, I still never went to Duncan!!

But were you aware that they have an attraction in Duncan where you can actually see (with your own eyes) ruts in the earth etched by the hooves of some of millions of cattle who roamed the Chisholm Trail?

Bill

Somehow that doesn't surprise me that they are charging $5 to view 'antique' cattle hoof imprints in Duncan. Actually....I would have gone to see that when we were in Duncan if I had known. We ended up visiting a rest home and some sleepy relatives instead. :D

Guest RecumbentHeart

Friend who lived in Duncan (now in Lawton) said: "Living in Duncan is like...well, living in Duncan :-) It's just a town. I'm probably not the best person in the world to ask since I don't get out much at all. Not too expensive to live. The average rent for a nice place is between $400-$500/month. I know there are a lot of families that homeschool here. It's not a horrible place to live. Not too far from larger cities with better resources."

Friend who lived in Duncan (now in Lawton) said: "Living in Duncan is like...well, living in Duncan :-) It's just a town. I'm probably not the best person in the world to ask since I don't get out much at all. Not too expensive to live. The average rent for a nice place is between $400-$500/month. I know there are a lot of families that homeschool here. It's not a horrible place to live. Not too far from larger cities with better resources."

I recently moved to Lawton. It has decent shopping and restaurants. I've hear that this is where people from Duncan come to shop.

RecumbentHeart: Just curious, does your friend homeschool in Lawton?

Guest RecumbentHeart
I recently moved to Lawton. It has decent shopping and restaurants. I've hear that this is where people from Duncan come to shop.

RecumbentHeart: Just curious, does your friend homeschool in Lawton?

No. She doesn't have children yet.