Menu

Resource for teaching how to do a research paper?

Jensen's Format Writing has good instructions, but you have to schedule it out yourself.

Smarr has a separate booklet for research writing and it has several schedules in the front that I found very helpful (I'm terrible at scheduling).

If you can swing the cost, I suggest using both resources.

We have Comprehensive Composition by Kathryn Stout. It is a teacher's resource book for teaching writing. It can be applied to all grade levels. Topics include: paragraphs, essays, notes and outlines, descriptive writing, persuasive writing, narrative writing, biographies, letters, reports and research papers. You can see the table of contents on Rainbow Resources and CBD.

You could also check into "Teaching the Research Paper" through Analytical Grammar.

We use Write for College by Write Source. It has details about the rules for APA and MLS styles, topics to select from, and well-written student models.

I have the same book! And Writer's Inc too. I told my son he would be referring to it when he needs a "reminder" in college. I love Write Source/Writer's Inc!

How to do the Research Paper, Parts I, II, and III. I believe it is in the newsletter or somewhere under site resources. I have it printed out, but I have done so many research papers myself that I haven't really used it. Pulling together a thesis and a dissertation is pretty good training. Also, IEW does a good job of showing kids how to do this step-by-step.

Susan has a resource on the WTM site. How to do the Research Paper, Parts I, II, and III. I believe it is in the newsletter or somewhere under site resources.

Here is Susan's 4-part series on the Research Paper.

Jean, do you have Writing Aids? (Since you use TOG I'm thinking you might.) There is a section in there on Research Papers, and planning sheets in the back for writing Expository Essays that detail how to expand the sheets to be useful for organizing Research Papers.

ETA: Here's the 4th installment of her series. I don't see a way to get from the 3rd installment to the 4th without searching on the site, so I thought I would add this.

Edited by Jackie in AR

Here is Susan's 4-part series on the Research Paper.

Jean, do you have Writing Aids? (Since you use TOG I'm thinking you might.) There is a section in there on Research Papers, and planning sheets in the back for writing Expository Essays that detail how to expand the sheets to be useful for organizing Research Papers.

ETA: Here's the 4th installment of her series. I don't see a way to get from the 3rd installment to the 4th without searching on the site, so I thought I would add this.

I don't have WA, we are using IEW themed books. Thanks for the link to Susan's series!

I don't have WA, we are using IEW themed books. Thanks for the link to Susan's series!

That link to SWB's explanation was great!

I just wanted to mention that most of what I hear lately is that the "research paper" is not really what high school & college are about, and it's the "essay" that we should be training our kids to write. The essay will have an opinion or a thesis statement, rather than just being a summary of encyclopedic information.

When you get to that point, Jim Stobaugh & Michael Clay Thompson are good resources for essay writing. But I don't think they'll tell you much about research papers.

Julie

I just wanted to mention that most of what I hear lately is that the "research paper" is not really what high school & college are about, and it's the "essay" that we should be training our kids to write. The essay will have an opinion or a thesis statement, rather than just being a summary of encyclopedic information.

I've been surprised in my recent readings about research papers that papers written by high school students are now recommended to have thesis statements that are proven/defended in the research paper.

When I was in high school (granted that has now been a few decades ago :tongue_smilie:), research papers were just what you stated: summaries of information. But it seems that times have changed.

I've been surprised in my recent readings about research papers that papers written by high school students are now recommended to have thesis statements that are proven/defended in the research paper.

When I was in high school (granted that has now been a few decades ago :tongue_smilie:), research papers were just what you stated: summaries of information. But it seems that times have changed.

:iagree: