Menu

SO- Reading

Scuff

Once a child can read, how important is a reading course? Is it ok to just let them read good books and narrate a few? We've used R&S reading up so far, but it changes in 5th grade from Bible stories to other stuff. Seems like a good breaking point to stop. Does he really need reading after that? The workbooks add much, well, work :) to the process of reading. I always hated it in school and DS does too. Enjoy the reading part, dread the follow-up. Is it ok to just drop all that and let him read or will he be missing something important?

Once a child can read, how important is a reading course? Is it ok to just let them read good books and narrate a few? We've used R&S reading up so far, but it changes in 5th grade from Bible stories to other stuff. Seems like a good breaking point to stop. Does he really need reading after that? The workbooks add much, well, work :) to the process of reading. I always hated it in school and DS does too. Enjoy the reading part, dread the follow-up. Is it ok to just drop all that and let him read or will he be missing something important?

I hope you don't miss anything important because I've never used a reading program.

I may be pilloried for this, but I don't see why any child needs a reading program. :001_smile: If your child reads independently--and reads good books--and you read to your child, I don't see how a reading program does anything but add busywork and make reading a chore. I don't see the point in sucking the joy out of it for children who love to read or pouring salt in the wound for children who don't.

That's not to say, however, that children shouldn't learn how to understand and appreciate books/literature. Reading to them and talking with them about books is a good foundation. Have you considered joining (or starting) a children's book club? It gives kids an opportunity to discuss books with peers and can even provide an introduction to literary analysis (simple things such as character, setting, plot, etc.).

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I may be pilloried for this, but I don't see why any child needs a reading program. :001_smile: If your child reads independently--and reads good books--and you read to your child, I don't see how a reading program does anything but add busywork and make reading a chore. I don't see the point in sucking the joy out of it for children who love to read or pouring salt in the wound for children who don't.

That's not to say, however, that children shouldn't learn how to understand and appreciate books/literature. Reading to them and talking with them about books is a good foundation. Have you considered joining (or starting) a children's book club? It gives kids an opportunity to discuss books with peers and can even provide an introduction to literary analysis (simple things such as character, setting, plot, etc.).

:iagree: Completely! I also wish we could find a good children's book club in our area...might have to start one myself eventually.

Thanks. Whew! I've been thinking of dropping it, for everything you all said, but then there's this nagging little thought in the back of my head that I'll miss something vital and ruin them. I don't know about starting a book club. I think they'd enjoy that a lot. But this year's focus is on my home and making sure we're organized and consistant. We were out of the house way too much last year. Maybe next I'll feel up to putting something like that together, A freind is doing FIAR once a month. But that's not the same thing as discussing the book together and the child sharing their original ideas and thoughts.

I think a reading program is unnecessary for grammar students. Later, reading as a subject morphs into literature (or literature/writing, if you are into integrating, like I am). Then, it is very important--studying the elements of literature, learning to dissect, if you will--these skills need guidance, and most turn from simply reading and casually discussion ("What do you think about what the character did?") to reading and intentional discussion ("How did the character's decision at this point affect the plot later?"). The guidance needed for grammar stage reading is very different from the guidance needed for logic and rhetoric stage reading.