Menu

World History teacher needs suggestions

My father-in-law is teaching a ninth grade world history class next semester. He would like to assign some fiction or non-fiction stories or books to his students. He asked me for some ideas but my oldest is a second grader so I've heard of a lot of titles but I'm not sure which ones would be the best options. Here are the periods he will be covering:

Greeks

Romans

Medieval Europe

Middle Ages

Renaissance

Reformation

New World Discoveries

Asian Empires

Monarchs of Europe

French Revolution, Industrial Revolution, Age of Imperialism, World Wars, Contemporary History

He said most of them do not read well (poor rural school), so I would guess maybe 5-6th grade reading level at best? I imagine he would probably assign 1-2 books, and would want them to have a high moral standard.

So if you could choose 2 favorite books (or a few stories) to assign a general world history class, what would you choose?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Edited by mommahawk
noted x-post in title

Hi!

Just a thought - if your father-in-law can find some books from the Landmark series, they might just fit the bill for what he is looking for. They are upper elementary in reading level ( I think), and focus on important individuals and or events from history, both world and American. A number of them have been reprinted (I think they were originally written mid-20th century) Many libraries carry them, and many homeschool suppliers carry at least a few of the titles. Good Luck! I will try to think of some others!

Blessings,

April

I would recommend looking at Bethlehem books . especially as the children aren't the best readers. there are some great ones in their lists that are really engaging. they have a large list of historical fiction.

some that come to mind are; the book about Galen, Archimedes, and there is a new one on Herodotus. they are all shortish, around 100- 200 pages,

How about Catherine Called Birdie for medieval? That one is great fun. Even my non-reading father read it and enjoyed it. Zlata's Diary for contemporary? It isn't historical fiction, but he might like to consider it anyway. It is a real diary. It is hard emotionally. Both of those are fast, easy reads that stick with you. I like The Ramsey Scallop for medieval, also, but he might want to preread it because it deals with some adult issues. I should think, though, that for his high schoolers it might be perfect. I love it. Number the Stars might be good for WWII. He might check out Habibi, also, for contemporary, or Shabanu, or Red Scarf Girl (this one, especially, is emotionally hard), or The Endless Steppe. Some of those are true accounts, not historical fiction.

-Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

I'm thinking of Notgrass and SMARR. They both have a world history course and quite a few books assigned to read for that period of time. Sonlight also might be one he should look into. Most of the suggested books are in the public library so that would help the kids who can't afford to buy the books individually.

I would look at Sonlights core 6 and 7 books. Sonlight books are wonderful and my kids really enjoyed most of them. Most of those already mentioned are used by Sonlight. Others we enjoyed were Mara, daughter of the Nile and The Golden Goblet (both set in Ancient Egypt), A murder for her majesty and The Shakespeare stealer (2nd is Elizabeth I obviously - can't remember if the other was also)

Meryl

Thank you for all your replies! I actually went to the Sonlight booklists first. I was looking at the Alt 7 year, and all the books looked so good! But I didn't know which ones might have religious content in them, or otherwise wouldn't be appropriate.

I'll definitely suggest the Landmark and Bethlehem books as well for him to look at. I think I have a couple of those laying around here.

Thanks Nan for those suggestions! I'll look at them and pass them on!

Greeks

Romans

Medieval Europe

Middle Ages

Renaissance

Reformation

New World Discoveries

Asian Empires

Monarchs of Europe

French Revolution, Industrial Revolution, Age of Imperialism, World Wars, Contemporary History

Wow, that's a HUGE span! And only 2 books? I could never narrow it down. But I'd be thinking along the lines of...

- Some of the famous Greek/Roman myths, such as Pandora or Achilles, and touching on all the connections to names in our modern culture (Nike shoes, etc). Not sure if they'd be up to Black Ships Before Troy etc?

- Something about Robin Hood and/or the 3 Musketeers/Man in Iron Mask/Scarlet Pimpernel would cover France & some of middle Europe. There are juvenile versions or there is the real thing... as well as movies.

- The Apprentice or The Door in the Wall are quick reads with moral themes for middle history; the Door in the Wall has stronger morals but more church history.

- Reading an actual Shakespeare or at least watching one can be really fun if presented that way.

- Genevieve Foster books cover lots of folks in one book.

- Albert Marrin books cover modern history with lots of good stories mixed in with facts.

- Anne Frank is the standard school fare for the Holocaust, but there are many more; I'd stick to true biographies since they are available. Sometimes it's good if they know books that other people will expect them to know, such as Anne Frank's.

- Maybe each kid could read a biography & share with the class? There are just so many in every category you mention.

Personally, if I were going to cover that much with so few pieces of literature, I would avoid fiction characters & try to introduce them to at least a couple of real folks or at least really popular stories.

Julie