Menu

LLATL for higshschool?

Right now we are using Abeka's grammar and lit program for my 9th grader.

I find that the lit portion does not have any lit analysis such as plot, setting, point of view, similie, etc....

I'm nost sure why it doesnt but we have yet to find any. It's just read a few pages and answer a few questions and im not too happy with it.

So I was wondering if I should switch her to LLATL at the 8th grade level.

I'd like any comments or reviews of it please. Does LLATL teach good lit analysis like those I mentioned above?

I find that the lit portion does not have any lit analysis such as plot, setting, point of view, similie, etc....

I'm nost sure why it doesnt but we have yet to find any. It's just read a few pages and answer a few questions and im not too happy with it.

So I was wondering if I should switch her to LLATL at the 8th grade level.

I'd like any comments or reviews of it please. Does LLATL teach good lit analysis like those I mentioned above?

I use the short story section in LLATL Gold for literature analysis.

http://www.commonsensepress.com/scope/scope2.htm#gold

I think it does a decent job of making the kids learn the terms and find them in the stories. The short stories are all by famous authors, but I doubt most students have read them.

Throughout the high school years, I have used their American and British poetry sections, too. This year I am trying Progeny Press's poetry book instead. I'll know how it compares in a couple of weeks. :)

I've not used the 8th grade book.

Jean

A Beka does much more of that in their 10th grade text, World Literature (which is a favorite of ours). I didn't like the 9th grade literatures texts of either A Beka or BJU.