Menu

Has anyone successfully laminated ...

.... something longer than 11" in a Scotch brand home laminator? I have plenty of the big 8.5" x 11" heat seal pouches. But I want to laminate a number line that is maybe 20". Can I use two pouches and let the open ends overlap in the middle?

Also, the directions warn never to feed the open end into the laminator first. Is this a guaranteed disaster, or just a possible disaster? ( I assume that if the rollers were very hot, some laminate goo could ooze out ahead of the pouch and gunk up the rollers, but this couldn't happen all the time or else goo would come out the edges and the tail end too.

Any other ideas how to accomplish this? I really wish i could buy a roll of this film and laminate things of arbitrary length.

Edited by mirth

.... something longer than 11" in a Scotch brand home laminator? I have plenty of the big 8.5" x 11" heat seal pouches. But I want to laminate a number line that is maybe 20". Can I use two pouches and let the open ends overlap in the middle?

Also, the directions warn never to feed the open end into the laminator first. Is this a guaranteed disaster, or just a possible disaster? ( I assume that if the rollers were very hot, some laminate goo could ooze out ahead of the pouch and gunk up the rollers, but this couldn't happen all the time or else goo would come out the edges and the tail end too.

Any other ideas how to accomplish this? I really wish i could buy a roll of this film and laminate things of arbitrary length.

I've never tried the first thing, but I'd probably give it a shot as an experiment. With the open-end-first issue, I'd bet that's more because you could end up with a laminated product that has lumps and rolls in it, since they wouldn't be able to smooth themselves out as the item pushed through.

Well I have a different lamintor (it's bigger and heavier) but I laminate longer things all the time.

You can get an 18" pounch (trim to bit width wise if needed.) If you opt to piece it together with 2 11" - just cut the sealed end and use a carrier. This should avoid any issues.

I was in the same exact situation that you are in. I have the same laminator and I was laminating a time line as well. I did exactly that I put the time line in a single pouch first and ran in through the laminator and then when it came out I put the other pouch on the other end and ran it through from that side and it came out fine! No problems at all.

I was in the same exact situation that you are in. I have the same laminator and I was laminating a time line as well. I did exactly that I put the time line in a single pouch first and ran in through the laminator and then when it came out I put the other pouch on the other end and ran it through from that side and it came out fine! No problems at all.

I wondered if this might work but wasn't sure if the heat might damage the unprotected side of the paper. Good to know that it doesn't! I'll file that tidbit away for future reference :D