Menu

Where do I start my 2nd grader in FLL?

Mamabug

This is our second yr HS and I am not crazy about the LA we've been doing so I want to start FLL. Can I start with the 2nd grade level? I really like the extra ideas to add some "activity" to our stuff. IT fits my squirmy guy well.

I assume I can go as slow as necessary if I notice that he isn't familiar or catching on to something.

Thanks,

Kimberly

I would recommend starting with level 1. I started my 2nd grader on FLL 1 this year. The first half went very fast, we did about 60 lessons in 8wks. We skipped a lot of the redundant stuff on nouns and even though he already knew what a noun was he never got bored. My guy loves he can be on his feet while we do the lessons and he enjoys the memorization!

Do a couple of lessons on nouns, a couple on proper and common nouns and then start with the pronoun lessons. You should be starting level 2 in short order. If you start on level 2 you could miss something major, as one of the memory chants/songs is in level one (pronouns) and verbs are introduced in level one. If you start at the beginning of level one you may both end up frustrated and give up. (Which is what we did. I just picked it back up by skipping a lot after giving up altogether.)

I'd just grab the 1/2 book and go his pace. Thing is that there are only 200 lessons so even if you did every single one of them, you'd get through in just over a year. You can probably condense a few similar lessons though. And doing a lesson almost daily would be easy enough for most kids.

Anyway, jmo :)

True. A lesson every day will get you done on time. You could start from lesson one. My DD was bored too death with it, but some people use the whole thing in second grade, so YMMV.