Menu

Missouri residents..I have a question!

Hello all,

My husband and son are taking a trip to St. Louis in a few weeks and are hoping to get some shopping in. We Canadians always hear of the amazing shopping deals you can get in the US. I was wondering if you know where the hot bargain shopping is located. Is there an amazing outlet mall near there? Thanks for your help!!:001_smile:

I guess it depends on what you want to buy. Not much is in St. Louis city any more (although Union Station is still open), but the suburbs have some good shopping. St. Louis Mills is fun and always has some good bargains. And there is a more focused outlet mall in Warrenton, if you are willing to drive a little further. There are some other really nice shopping malls, but they are not really hot deal places, on the whole. What general area will you be staying in?

We also have two homeschool supply/consignment stores that I like to go to, if you are looking to buy curriculum. PM me if you want the info on these.

Kind of OT, but if you get a chance to sight-see, the St. Louis Zoo is FREE admission and a lot of fun. It is one of the best zoos in the country. We also have a great art museum in Forest Park, not too far from the zoo.

I guess it depends on what you want to buy. Not much is in St. Louis city any more (although Union Station is still open), but the suburbs have some good shopping. St. Louis Mills is fun and always has some good bargains. And there is a more focused outlet mall in Warrenton, if you are willing to drive a little further. There are some other really nice shopping malls, but they are not really hot deal places, on the whole. What general area will you be staying in?

We also have two homeschool supply/consignment stores that I like to go to, if you are looking to buy curriculum. PM me if you want the info on these.

Kind of OT, but if you get a chance to sight-see, the St. Louis Zoo is FREE admission and a lot of fun. It is one of the best zoos in the country. We also have a great art museum in Forest Park, not too far from the zoo.

:iagree: Yep, what she said. :D Good point about St Louis Mills. I wouldn't have thought of that, but you're right. Science Center is also free and fun!

Thanks so much for the info. They are staying right by the zoo at the Parkway Plaza! It looks great. I can't believe it's free. I suppose they would be closer to St.Louis Mills. Do you know if there is metro transit to get there? If I were going I would love to check out the homeschool curriculum, but I don't think my husband would want to do homeschool shopping:sad:

I don't think the Mills Malls has MetroLink (train) nearby, but there might be bus service. Try www.metrostlouis.org.

For zoo info, go to www.stlzoo.org. I think it opens at 9:00 and the Children's Zoo is free until 10:00, but if it's your 16 yo that your dh is bringing, he probably won't care to do that part. The Missouri History Museum is in Forest Park, too (where the zoo is). It's really interesting.

Hope they have a good visit! And you guys, too, Cathie! Fall is beautiful in Missouri!

Chelle

We're in St. Louis... :glare: Being from Chicago, I would say there isn't much shopping here - unless you're a big wal-mart fan...

HOWEVER!! I have never lived somewhere where there is sooooo much to see historically. There is some fascinating stuff you could tour in st louis itself - like the Lemp Mansion (supposed to be haunted and you can eat there), Grant's Farm is pretty cool (and there's a museum of General Grant near the farm), the old German wineries in Hermann (AWESOME!), Fort du Chartres (on the Illinois side), Fort Kaskaskia (and there's an historic home down there, but can't remember the name), up north in Hannibal there are some really neat museums on Mark Twain and the whole riverboat thing, Alton (Illinois) has the Piasa Bird - Finn Inn (the aquarium restaurant) - the Locks and Dams (you can go see them and a museum) - the tallest man in the world statue - the old Confederate prison (which is supposed to be haunted also) - and during Nov-Feb you can see eagles everywhere on the river. If you're going to stay in the city, Laclede's Landing and the Arch (the museum under the arch, specifically) are cheap, easy tourist attractions. Oh, yeah, and the historic courthouse is incredible inside. There's also the cathedral on the river (can't think of its name) you can tour.

I know I'm only touching the tip of the iceberg here...if you go further west, there is some incredible stuff too - like the interactive museum at the civil war battlefield in Battlefield, MO. Let's not mention all the stuff in Branson - LOL!

Go, Land of Mo!!! :D