Menu

PSAT scores sent to colleges

I've seen a discussion on here before about colleges contacting students after they take the PSAT... I have two questions:

First, can you select schools to have the scores sent to, or is that only the SAT?

Second, is it correct that you have to indicate that you want to receive the mailings, and if so, do you guys recommend doing so?

Thanks a bunch,

Debbie

My dd took the PSAT last year, as a junior. In April, if a student is in the top 50,000 scorers (usually a score of 200+ out of 240), the NM corporation will sent the scores to two colleges the student chooses. Otherwise, I don't believe the exact scores are sent to colleges, just the names of those who scored in a certain requested range.

Students must indicate that they want mailings (snail or email) from schools. It has been fun to look at all the literature, but it didn't help my dd choose her college. I do not recommend allowing emails. Your child will get a ridiculous amount, because they are cheap to send.

GardenMom

And only then to the two...

The schools that your child applies to as a sr will never see their PSAT scores, only SAT or ACT. The only time that may be different is if you choose to send them a copy in order to participate in some sort of special summer program and your child has not yet taken an SAT or ACT.

The reason you start to get junk mail from schools is the form the kids fill out indicating what fields they are interested in and so on.

I had never heard of the college, or even knowing that small, women-only LACs existed. I ended up applying, getting accepted, and I ended up loving it!

It can be good, if your dc doesn't have a strong idea of where to go for college. You might get some places that you wouldn't have thought to apply to.

OTOH, if the dc pretty much has a few colleges picked out, I suppose it wouldn't be necessary.

Students must indicate that they want mailings (snail or email) from schools. It has been fun to look at all the literature, but it didn't help my dd choose her college. I do not recommend allowing emails. Your child will get a ridiculous amount, because they are cheap to send.

GardenMom

:iagree::iagree: Let them send the info--It's fun reading, but e-mail is too much junk!

THe only choice in the PSAT is whether you want mail or email or not. Not which school gets a score. Only if they are one of the absolutely best test takers will they contact you about sending scores anywhere. The only choice now is yes to mail no to mail yes to email no to email. Oh and colleges do get selective lists and they are not only selected by majors. I don't remember since it was so long my older took it but it may also be by GPA or by score levels. Like they wouldn't know your child's score but a school could maybe request scores that have math > 70, or some such criteria. That way the highly selective colleges aren't wasting paper or people who got a math score of 34, let's say.