Menu

Reading books for dyslexic son

Quiver0f10

I really like old readers which have the difficult words up front, you can sound them out first, that makes the stories go smoother.

The 1879 McGuffey's are great (NOT the earlier Mott Media version), you can see them free online first at Gutenberg, you need to view the pdfs to see the markings.

I also like Parker's readers, they're at Google books, linked at the end of my Webster page. The Parker readers have both pronunciations and definitions of the more difficult words.

You can but the McGuffey reprints at Amazon or any bookstore, the set is pretty cheap at Amazon usually.

If you like the Parker books and want an actual book, you can get the original 1800's books for $12 to $15 at Alibris or ABE books if you don't mind a few spots and pencil markings. (I actually have fun reading the comments and seeing the markings, I prefer the cheaper books with more character!)

A friend of mine uses the King James version of the Bible. She found a much older edition that had all the notations in it (like for syllables, some sound indications and such). Her son did an amazing job reading it even though it was difficult because it had all those dictionary symbols to help him make out each word.

A friend of mine uses the King James version of the Bible. She found a much older edition that had all the notations in it (like for syllables, some sound indications and such). Her son did an amazing job reading it even though it was difficult because it had all those dictionary symbols to help him make out each word.

We use the KJV bible and I'd love to find a copy like this for him!

We use the KJV bible and I'd love to find a copy like this for him!
I know that none of the newer printings have them because I have been looking in stores. My grandmother's does, but she bought her copy in the 50s or 60s. I have been searching for an old copy in the local thrift stores and such. You will know the difference when you find one because you will see the words broken into syllables and such, especially in the Old Testament.