Menu

The early bird gets the... buck? (Warning--slightly bloody hunting pics!)

DS 12 went hunting for the first time with his dad this morning (The youth hunt started today.) and got a pretty good sized five point buck! There'll be no living with him after this! :D

It wandered out of the woods, stopped and stood right where he'd been target shooting from the deer blind a couple days ago. Then it turned sideways and waited. He couldn't have had a better shot. The stump in the second photo is where they'd been shooting at a propped up paper plate target a couple days before.

It's already been taken for processing and it weighed 127 lbs--after field dressing it. Whew! Anybody have any good venison recipes?

Pics:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22557275

Congratulations! A chance at a shot like that just doesn't get any better. What a great experience.

Here are some favourite recipes. Happy Cooking!

WILD GAME BRAISE

2 T cooking oil

2-3lb meat

salt & pepper

2 large onions, sliced

1 ½ c water

Slice meat and brown in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add water, onions, sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cover. Bake at 325 for 1 ½ to 4 hours. For longer cooking, may need to add more water. Makes meat super tender. Serve with a bit of HP sauce or make gravy with drippings.

STEW

1-2lb meat

4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced

4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced

1 medium onion, chopped

1 tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

½ tsp basil

2c tomato juice

Combine all ingredients in dish. Bake 2 hours at 350 or 5 hours at 250.

VENISON PARMIGIANA

I’ve used moose as well, it’s all good. :0)

1-2lb meat

1/3c dry bread crumbs

1/3c Parmesan cheese * (I don’t like it, never have it, just increase bread crumbs to 2/3c and continue. I guess it's not really Parmigiana then. ;-)

1 egg, beaten

1/3c cooking oil

1c chopped onion

5 ½ oz Tomato paste

2c water (I just fill the tomato paste can 3 times)

1t salt

¼ t pepper

½ t oregano

1t sugar

Mozzarella cheese, grated

Cut meat into serving size pieces. Dip in egg, then crumb/cheese mixture (or just crumbs). Brown in cooking oil. Transfer to greased 9x13 dish.

Saute onion, add more oil if necessary. Add tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, oregano and sugar. Stir and pour over meat. Grate cheese over top. Cover and bake at 350 for 1-1 ½ hours.

HOMESTYLE STEW

2lb stew meat

3T cooking oil

4c water

2 medium onions, chopped

1T Worcestershire sauce

½ c ketchup

1t salt

1t basil

2c carrots, sliced

3c potatoes, diced

1c frozen peas

Brown meat in cooking oil. Add water, onion, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, salt and basil. Cover and simmer about 1 ½ hours. Add carrots and potatoes. Boil about 15 min. Add peas and boil about 3 min. Serve.

OVEN BARBECUED STEAKS

2lb steak

salt & pepper

1c brown sugar

1c ketchup

2t Worcestershire sauce

Put steak in roaster, sprinkle with salt & pepper. Combine remaining ingredients and spoon over meat. Cover and bake at 300 for 2-3 hours.

This boy is definitely walking a little taller today.

He has one last Hunter's Ed class this coming week, and can't wait to show the other kids the pics.

Thanks for the venison recipes. We'll have a lot of it to use. I'm not overly fond of wild game either, and it's probably a good thing dh is having them mix in some beef in the ground.

I've been vegan since June but told kiddo if he gets his buck, I'll eat some of it. Who'd have thought he's actually get one right away? :tongue_smilie: Thanks to my older brother ("the deer whisperer" :D) he was set up in a pretty good spot.