Menu

When do you stop formal handwriting?

mlbuchina

My oldest just finished the HWOT 3rd grade cursive book and is now working through the 5th grade book. His cursive is very good and he chooses to use it over printing. The reason I went with the 5th grade book even though he can write with it is because the lines get smaller and I wanted him to be able to practice before he started using smaller lines for copywork. He didn't really need it, but it is also his favorite subject (go figure!) and it only takes about 5 minutes a day. When he's done with this book, he's done with formal handwriting practice - he'll just "practice" with copywork/dictation instead.

We did print in first and moved to cursive in second b/c my son was making up his own cursive and I wanted him to learn the "right" way before he got into his own habits. If he hadn't been trying his own crusive, I would have done print in first and only our copy work in 2nd then onto cursive in 3rd.

We have so much copywork and the like that I am wondering why we have a "handwriting" book at all.:001_huh: We use Z-B, and I usually end up skipping it most days because of all of the other writing we do. It just seems like way too much.:confused:

Although, I haven't used ZB workbooks past the 3rd grade cursive books, I find that my older kids still need to have regular practice in cursive writing. At times I even think about getting a handwriting book for my 6th grader!!

So my answer would be - formal subject - up to third grade, And then copywork for penmanship practice thereafter until they don't need it anymore. (i.e. they have figured out how to make their written assignments legible!!)