Menu

How independently can CLE math be used in the early grades?

chaik76

My son is in 2nd grade and tests into CLE Math 2. He is currently doing a combo of Singapore and Abeka. The Abeka he does independently, the Singapore I teach to him before he does the pages.

How intensive is teaching time in the early grades for CLE Math? I am considering a switch to it, and if I do, I would like to switch sooner rather than later.

For the 100 level I worked with my ds through the whole lesson, which was about 20-30 minutes, depending on how focused he was. Keep in mind, he wasn't reading on his own at the time, so I needed to give directions for each group of problems. I imagine a second grader would only need about 15-20 minuted of instruction.

I am using CLE Math 2 with my ds7. He can do it quite independently. I just have to make sure I read the lesson to him and teach him anything he needs to know (which only takes a few minutes). I also have to read some of the longer word problems for him since he doesn't read very well yet. If he starts math without me, he will do the things that he knows first, and leave the rest for me to help him with.

I love CLE math!

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is using CLE Math 2 and it is very independent. There is a little bit of drill at the beginning that I need to set the timer for and there is some skip counting that I listen to her do. Then I look at the "New" section of the lessons with her to make sure she understands it and she does the rest of the lesson on her own. So, she only needs me for about 5 - 10 minutes each day.

Lisa

In CLE 2, my son worked on his own for about 20-30 minutes per day, and I worked with him for about 10, including timing his speed drill and doing flash cards daily.

Betsy

My son is in 2nd grade and tests into CLE Math 2. He is currently doing a combo of Singapore and Abeka. The Abeka he does independently, the Singapore I teach to him before he does the pages.

How intensive is teaching time in the early grades for CLE Math? I am considering a switch to it, and if I do, I would like to switch sooner rather than later.