Menu

How long do you teach phonics?

cam112198

My dd7 (2nd grade) went to K and then I started homeschooling in 1st grade. Going into 1st grade she did not know how to read. We have used Abeka for Phonics....well pretty much for everything LA. She is reading now, but not super fast or anything.

I was just wondering how long I need to teach phonics? Is giving her the Abeka Letters and Sounds worksheet enough or do I need to teach the whole lesson? Or maybe letting her work through the Explode the Code books enough?

The reason I was asking is b/c I was thinking of switching LA. I think Abeka is a great program, but very teacher intensive.

I've thought about Rod & Staff, CLE, or FLL. And maybe also purchasing WWE in addition.

The only reason I wouldn't leave Abeka is b/c we started with their phonics and I wouldn't want to just stop with the phonics if she still needed it.

I have a newborn on the way and was trying to make things a little easier. :-)

Would love any suggestions you might have!

My dd7 (2nd grade) went to K and then I started homeschooling in 1st grade. Going into 1st grade she did not know how to read. We have used Abeka for Phonics....well pretty much for everything LA. She is reading now, but not super fast or anything.

I was just wondering how long I need to teach phonics? Is giving her the Abeka Letters and Sounds worksheet enough or do I need to teach the whole lesson? Or maybe letting her work through the Explode the Code books enough?

The reason I was asking is b/c I was thinking of switching LA. I think Abeka is a great program, but very teacher intensive.

I've thought about Rod & Staff, CLE, or FLL. And maybe also purchasing WWE in addition.

The only reason I wouldn't leave Abeka is b/c we started with their phonics and I wouldn't want to just stop with the phonics if she still needed it.

I have a newborn on the way and was trying to make things a little easier. :-)

Would love any suggestions you might have!

If she is reading well you probably don't need to cover formal phonics. I would recommend you use the phonics based spelling program. That would catch any gaps she might have. All About Spelling is one of the easiest to use, but Spell to Write and Read and Writing Road to Reading are also good programs.

Heather

You really need to go up through the second grade level in whatever program you choose. Later phonics introduces things like syllabication and prefixes/suffixes that trip up kids who quit phonics early. You see a "fourth grade slump" in many homeschooled kids who learned to read early or without a phonics program and didn't get this instruction. When the words start getting longer, they can't decode them.

I'm not a fan of A Beka's Reading program, but if that is what you started in, you may want to see it through. If not, switch to CLE or R&S, but use the phonics/reading along with the English/grammar.

If she is reading well you probably don't need to cover formal phonics. I would recommend you use the phonics based spelling program. That would catch any gaps she might have. All About Spelling is one of the easiest to use, but Spell to Write and Read and Writing Road to Reading are also good programs.

Heather

We are actually getting ready to start AAS in a few weeks! And I am very excited about it!

I have Phonics Pathways and thought about skipping ahead a little since she knows a lot of it. She has had a year of Abeka phonics and she is reading, but not great. I just wonder if Phonics Pathways might be easier for her to understand without all the bells and whistles. And then I could use either R&S or CLE for grammar. I just wonder sometimes if I'm doing a lot of extra work with Abeka, when really there is an easier way to do it.

Sorry it took me so long to respond! I am 28 weeks pregnant and have been having lots of contractions and found out Tuesday that my cervix is starting to change. So I am on light bedrest now! It's been a crazy week!

Thank you so much for your replies!