Menu

Grammar for high schoolers?

DD scored what an average high school senior scores on a practice SAT paper she did (for fun :001_huh:) or rather, she scores above average but apparently not high enough. The same smilie applies.

The average is 1509, DD scored 1630. Her writing score is 530, almost fourty above average but she wants to try for a perfect score in it since it was the easiest and most enjoyable section for her. She's going to be doing some vocab work and obviously working on math so that covers the other two sections but grammar - she doesn't know the rules. Or rather, she knows a lot of the rules but because she formally know any of them. She just looks at a sentence and thinks 'that doesn't look right' and quite often she can get it right but basically, we need a grammar program that isn't derogatory to her but covers basics to advanced. Any ideas? (:

I had ds review grammar with Warriners (spelling?), I think is was "the third course". It is an older edition, you need to buy it used. I bought mine through Seton.

Barb

DD scored what an average high school senior scores on a practice SAT paper she did (for fun :001_huh:) or rather, she scores above average but apparently not high enough. The same smilie applies.

The average is 1509, DD scored 1630. Her writing score is 530, almost fourty above average but she wants to try for a perfect score in it since it was the easiest and most enjoyable section for her. She's going to be doing some vocab work and obviously working on math so that covers the other two sections but grammar - she doesn't know the rules. Or rather, she knows a lot of the rules but because she formally know any of them. She just looks at a sentence and thinks 'that doesn't look right' and quite often she can get it right but basically, we need a grammar program that isn't derogatory to her but covers basics to advanced. Any ideas? (:

I'm not sure what you'd mean by derogatory, but it sounds like what you are looking for is not really a grammar program. If it's testing she's worried about, then knowing the names of parts of speech probably won't help. It sounds like you're looking for more of a "common grammatical errors" type of guide. I'd look for something along those lines, rather than a grammar text.

Julie

I meant derogatory as in, not a program that was too simple or one that would luck like it was dumbing her down because grammar (at least basic grammar) is normally taught at a much younger age.

And from what I said I suppose it does sound like something like that would be more beneficial but since this is our first year of classical ed we're throwing in some logic stuff (along with lots of puzzles and brain teasers ;D) and in the WTM it says "A student entering into formal logic must have a good grasp on the parts of a speech..." which is how it came about. I really shouldn't let my 9th grader become fluent in what the WTM says. :rofl:

If it is preparing for SAT grammar then Warriners combined with an SAT prep would be good. There isn't parts of speech identifying stuff on the SAT. Warriners has good prep for find errors in sentences (like agreement and stuff).

Barb