Menu

Math - Help!

My oldest daughter is a Junior in high school this year and is still attemting to master Algebra 1. We used TT all last year. She didn't retain any of it so I hired a tutor to help her over the summer to catch her up. Well, her tutor decided to not show up anymore, no phone call, no email, no nothing ...so I am in a rut! I have looked for another tutor and have found a couple, but no way can I afford $50/session.

The TT dvds are not working for her and haven't since the beginning. The tutor has worked with her for weeks and I would say she is understanding a little more, but not enough. She is only half way through the TT book (for the second time) and still confused. I am not good enough with Algebra to help her myself and even if I learned it, she does not want to take the help from me. We really need an outside party of some sort to work with her which is why I was using TT, but that isn't working either.

I need an amazing Math program that explains concepts more thoroughly then TT to where a child who has always struggled with Math would understand FINALLY!!

I would so appreciate any ideas! Being that she is in 11th this year and only just finishing up Algebra 1, it worries me, but I don't want to push her and kill her self-esteem. She is already down on herself because she struggles with math so much and has since I can remember.

How about Math-U-See? First though I would take the placement test by starting with the pre-test and making sure that she has her basics down. If she does well there give her the pre-algebra competency exam and then the algebra exam to see exactly where she tests into the program. Actually even if you decide not to try mus I would still give the placement tests because then you will find out what problems she doesn't know how to solve and that might be very helpful to know.

Although we also used MAth U See for our son up through the pre-algebra level, and I really liked it....I have a dear friend who's son struggles quite a bit with math....Math Relief is the program that finally worked for them. He has some processing issues but is very bright. Math is his Waterloo and MathRelief is the only thing they found that worked for them.

We know a teen who is redoing Algebra 1 this year. She did Key to Algebra & Aleks over the summer to help her understand the concepts better.

I'm personally a big fan of Life of Fred, and not a fan of TT. We've used MUS up to Epsilon, so I can't comment on the Algebra, but I think they have a new version out now. If you go with MUS, do take the placement test first.

Algebra is one of those things that can be very developmental because it requires so much abstract thought. My approach would be to make it more concrete first then see if she could do the more abstract. To that end I am going to have my dd doing Hands on Equations first.

Heather

Do you need the whole kit, or can you simply buy the Hand on Learning System and do it yourself? With all the Algebra we already have and with our budget limitations, I cannot spend $115 to get the whole thing. So far, my dd's haven't needed this, but it might be good for ds. Also, how would this be better than doing it hands on with MUS? We already have all of the MUS manipulatives and a used pre-Algebra DVD for them. I wasn't planning to use it, but perhaps that could augment what we have. fwiw, the only times I have stuck to TM's are with Saxon K & 1 (and I am NOT a Saxon fan--we quit in Saxon 1, although my eldest self-taught herself math from 3 of the higher levels for a while) and with MEP this past spring/summer. My dc do MUS on the side and watch Mr. Demme themselves, but I make sure they understand SM, of course, and teach when necessary.

However, my ds has always been better with abstract thought than with arithmetic and writing. Still, perhaps hands on would help the transition (he is "backward" from most dc this way--he's a deep thinker.)

Edited by Karin

Do you need the whole kit, or can you simply buy the Hand on Learning System and do it yourself? With all the Algebra we already have and with our budget limitations, I cannot spend $115 to get the whole thing. So far, my dd's haven't needed this, but it might be good for ds. Also, how would this be better than doing it hands on with MUS? We already have all of the MUS manipulatives and a used pre-Algebra DVD for them. I wasn't planning to use it, but perhaps that could augment what we have. fwiw, the only times I have stuck to TM's are with Saxon K & 1 (and I am NOT a Saxon fan--we quit in Saxon 1, although my eldest self-taught herself math from 3 of the higher levels for a while) and with MEP this past spring/summer. My dc do MUS on the side and watch Mr. Demme themselves, but I make sure they understand SM, of course, and teach when necessary.

However, my ds has always been better with abstract thought than with arithmetic and writing. Still, perhaps hands on would help the transition (he is "backward" from most dc this way--he's a deep thinker.)

From reading old posts you don't need the DVD, but finding it for sale without them sounds like it can be tricky. I haven't actually bought it myself yet. I just really like the looks of it, because my kids are very hands on.

Heather

From reading old posts you don't need the DVD, but finding it for sale without them sounds like it can be tricky. I haven't actually bought it myself yet. I just really like the looks of it, because my kids are very hands on.

Heather

Thanks. They do sell just parts of it on the site, but not with a TM. I'm wondering if I could figure out how to use it without one. Not that Algebra is tricky here, but I think the hands on element would be good for ds.

Thanks. They do sell just parts of it on the site, but not with a TM. I'm wondering if I could figure out how to use it without one. Not that Algebra is tricky here, but I think the hands on element would be good for ds.

I found the base kit here and here. The second of which I have ordered from multiple times before.

Heather

I found the base kit here and here. The second of which I have ordered from multiple times before.

Heather

I got it here:

http://www.borenson.com/Products/HomeschoolingMaterials/tabid/916/Default.aspx

Started out with the Hands-On Equations Learning System and eventually went back and got the Verbal Problems book. The base kit is fairly self-explanatory (especially for people on these boards :)) so I doubt you'd need anything else.

Heather

I got it here:

http://www.borenson.com/Products/HomeschoolingMaterials/tabid/916/Default.aspx

Started out with the Hands-On Equations Learning System and eventually went back and got the Verbal Problems book. The base kit is fairly self-explanatory (especially for people on these boards :)) so I doubt you'd need anything else.

Thanks!

The minute I read your post I thought of Hands-On Equations, but once again someone beat me to it.

So, if it helps in confirmation, I have used this program. I purchased the entire program. I used the pawns, the blocks, etc. I also worked the word problems. I think that because it is basic and the word problems are awesome. It will help. The creator of the program also offers these worshops all across the nation. If you submit your daughters name for a demonstrator, she can get the program for free. The catch is she cannot have ever used the program before.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

The minute I read your post I thought of Hands-On Equations, but once again someone beat me to it.

So, if it helps in confirmation, I have used this program. I purchased the entire program. I used the pawns, the blocks, etc. I also worked the word problems. I think that because it is basic and the word problems are awesome. It will help. The creator of the program also offers these worshops all across the nation. If you submit your daughters name for a demonstrator, she can get the program for free. The catch is she cannot have ever used the program before.

Blessings,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

How much travelling is involved with being a demonstrator?

• 3 weeks later...
Whichever workshop you sign up for, you have your child demonstrate at the workshop you are going to. I tried to get my son's name in, but his name was never drawn to be a demonstrator.

Blessings,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thanks, Karen. I haven't been on the forum much this week as there is a lot going on IRL.

Karin