Menu

AAS Questions

butterfly113

When one level is completed and you move onto the next level, what do you do with the cards from the previous level? Do you keep them in the mastered sections, or put them away all together? Also, if you do keep them in mastered, when you review, do you review ALL 100+ of them?

DIctation... do you dictate ALL the sentences before moving to a new step?

TIA!:bigear:

It depends. I've taken the spelling words cards out, but I'll grab a handful every now and then to review. The Key cards I kept in the Mastered section, and pull those out more often to review...a few at a time.

I do dictation with WWE as well. So if we have time I do all the sentences in AAS, but if we run out of time I just do a few.

When one level is completed and you move onto the next level, what do you do with the cards from the previous level? Do you keep them in the mastered sections, or put them away all together? Also, if you do keep them in mastered, when you review, do you review ALL 100+ of them?

I only work on problem words, the mastered I put away. And I do all the sentence dictation and none of the phrases.

Heather

I have a misspelled list in a note book. These are words misspelled in each session.

Every few weeks I use the misspelled list & the rules (blue) cards for review. Rest of the cards are filled away.

If a rule is forgotten 50% or more only then we pull out the Text book & the cards. So far it has not happened, since we rereview at least once a month.

I do all of the dictation because this is a great way to review previously learned words in a more normal situation. I think the dictation is one of the most important components & would only skip it if it's ridiculously easy for the child (if you were taking a child through quickly to just fill in any gaps and then move on to harder stuff, for example).

The first lesson in each level has you review previously mastered cards. There's also usually a lesson mid-level that has you do this. This is where you can customize this to your child's needs and do as much as they need, or just cursory review if they typically remember it all.

I put away most of the consonant sound and phonogram cards from L1 because they are very easy for my kids. I kept all of the cards that have more than one sound, and then all the cards from level 2 on (youngest is mid-level 3, oldest will start 4 in a week).

I would probably review the key cards from level 1 at the beginning of level 2, and then if your child never misses them in actual writing of the dictations, you could probably put them away for good. If my kids miss something in dictation, I pull out the related key card and continue to review it from time to time.

Word cards--unless your children struggled, I would probably just pick a sampling to review from level 1--one or two from each step, any rule-breakers or any that your kids stumbled on the first time around.

I have found that sometimes my kids will have a word mastered and then forget again later, so I do a more thorough review of mastered cards for them after Level 2 & on, to make sure they are still mastered. Any that are missed go back into the review category and don't get "retired" (put away) until the next time that we go through mastered cards to retire some.

If your child has any struggle at all with retention, don't skimp on review or dictation, these are important components.

Make it work for you! Merry :-)