Menu

First day of school, some bumps and triumphs!

Today is our first day of school, and I have to say that I planned and planned, organized and made sure I had all my bases covered. When it came time to sit down with dd, though, I thought I had it all worked out until I actually started to explain things to her about how our new school year would go. For a few minutes, it was as though my mouth was full of cotton.

• I hadn't really studied the grammar program and could hardly explain it at all, so we just looked at the book and set a date this week to take the assessment test. Nice going, Mom!

• I thought I understood everything about TOG well enough to explain it to dd, but when we read the SA pages together, I realized that they did not include the weekly overview...this made me stumble a bit. Thankfully I'm seasoned enough with hs to know that we're a team and we're in this together. My dd shows a tremendous amount of grace, so I am able to lighten up and not be so hard on myself.

• We have both a Mac and PC, so when I ordered TT I was not too upset to find that they don't carry TT6 for the Mac. I've had the software ready to go for a couple of weeks, but did not plop it into the PC until the end of last week. Ooooops! CD drive does not work. So off we went to Fry's yesterday and bought a new CD drive to install on the PC. We thought all was well until we went to install the drivers and discovered that the PC does not recognize the new drive either. That means it has to do with the mother board!!! Aaaaaah! This happened on the day before school started, and we have no computer for dd to take her math on now! What to do? What to do? Buying the new drive was an unexpected expense, now we've got to take the PC in to a repair shop too. I really can't afford this right now! In the meantime, dd cannot do her math. :lol:

Despite these challenges, the first day of school is going well and dd is excited about the "new" way we will be schooling. She's decorating her TOG notebook cover and feeling very grown up and special because she has been given new responsibilities with having assignments she will have to complete on time herself.

I hope your day/week/year is off to a good start and that your difficult challenges are few and far between.

Blessings,

Lucinda

So true, Jean...so true! The show must go on, as they say. I think I wanted to post these things because I hoped the newer hs moms might read about it and realize that this is "NORMAL". We all have challenges and even awkward moments, no matter how seasoned we are in this hs lifestyle.

Blessings,

Lucinda