Menu

No ibuprofen/motrin with H1N1?

I read this somewhere and it concerns me. Tylenol has never worked for my kids or myself...and dh is lucky if anything at all works.

Does anyone have any idea why some folks are saying not to use NSAIDs with H1N1?

ETA: link to the article http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extra.../jun15_1/b2345

Edited by Tree House Academy

Well, I have read that most hospitals discharge H1N1 patients from the ER with orders to use motrin OR tylenol. However, I was reading a flu trackers site and it linked to an article saying NOT to use any of the NSAIDs. I hope someone here can explain it - or link me to something that explains it. Motrin is our source for fever reduction with the kids as tylenol doesn't work. I can't take motrin, but I do take Aleve because, again, tylenol doesn't work. Poor dh has to take 2 Aleve and often that doesn't even touch it for him.

Yesterday I took dd to emergency room as her temperature spiked to 102, severe cough, trying to throw up, etc...

The admitting nurse said "it could be the flu, but you will have to wait to see dr for the test" but then said "lets give her some Motrin to bring her fever down."

Obviously they thought she might have flu (test showed negative but Dr. said she still might have it) and they gave her Motrin. Hmmmmmmmm

DD just had H1N1 and we piggy-backed Tylenol and Motrin the entire time to keep her fever under control. Piggy-backing them kept her temp around 101. If one of them wore off, her temp would spike to 104.5 - 104.9. She's always been a kid who spikes high fevers and Motrin is the only thing that has ever had luck at bringing it down so I normally don't do Tylenol. With this, the Tylenol added just the extra little bit that we needed.

DD just had H1N1 and we piggy-backed Tylenol and Motrin the entire time to keep her fever under control. Piggy-backing them kept her temp around 101. If one of them wore off, her temp would spike to 104.5 - 104.9. She's always been a kid who spikes high fevers and Motrin is the only thing that has ever had luck at bringing it down so I normally don't do Tylenol. With this, the Tylenol added just the extra little bit that we needed.

How long was your daughter sick?

How long was your daughter sick?

She was *fine* Wednesday morning. By lunch Wednesday she was sicker than I've seen in a long time. She literally went from running around with a friend Wednesday morning to a 102 degree fever and lying on the couch crying in less than 2 hours. By Wednesday night, she was sicker than I have EVER seen her. Her throat hurt, she had a HIGH fever (but would be shaking with chills), she cried that everything hurt (especially her head). For 2 days we had to carry her to the bathroom because she would. not. stand. because "moving makes me worse." Her fever finally broke Saturday and she's been getting progressively better since yesterday (Sunday), but she's still not back to normal.

She still hasn't eaten a normal (for her) meal. She is playing again, but she gets tired easily. The scary part (for me) is that she actually has a really strong immune system. She rarely gets sick and when she does she usually gets over it in a day or two max.

This is what I see on the Flu Trackers website:

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100589

I'm not a Dr, nor do I play one on TV, but I believe that is because continual use of OTCs such as Motrin can cause acid reflux.

Tylenol has the least drug interaction precautions, but I don't allow it in my house because the slightest overdose can cause liver damage. CAVEAT is that I would use tylenol in a case where an extremely high fever needed a piggyback. The few times I would have aren't worth them not having it in fear of liver damage.

Edited by justamouse