Menu

Boxcar Children books

JWSJ

I did notice that some of the ones Warner didn't write have things about ghosts and such in them. For me, I don't want my kids reading that kind of stuff so I prefer to stick to the more innocent originals. I put Boxcar Children books on my son's Christmas list last year and wasn't specific (because I didn't think I needed to be). I ended up with a few books. We read the first one and I had to edit on the fly, then didn't read the others. None of them were originals.

I want to live on Surprise Island!

I think the originals are best, and we stop with those. I agree with Jean, the others (few that I've read or looked at) aren't necessarily bad, they're just not as good. The thing I found most jarring was that the original series follows a definite timeline, progressing through seasons of the calendar and seasons in the lives of the children. You can follow their ages as they grow.

The rest of the books keep them in some kind of suspended animation, leaving you still wondering about what their futures held.

After Boxcar kids, we typically move on to Little House on the Prairie, then Narnia, for series books.