Menu

Dr. Oz's diet book question

Assuming I am over 30, I...  

1. 1. Assuming I am over 30, I...

• weigh 5 or fewer pounds more than I did at age 18
    • weigh between 5 and 15 more than I did at age 18
    • weigh more than 15 pounds more than I did at age 18
    • weigh signicantly less than I did at age 18
    • Aaack!!! Why did you post this poll! It's making me cry.

I was browsing the online sample on amazon of Dr. Oz's "You on a Diet" book because I want to lose a few pounds in a healthy manner, not using any structured "diet". I saw a bit that said something like, "remember how much you weighed when you were 18...that is probably your ideal weight." :eek:

I'm not grossly overweight, but I'm nowhere close to where I was at 18...metabolism cranking through the roof, exercising daily because of high school athletics and PE (when they still HAD real PE!), etc.

Now, granted, I read this page using the "pick a random page for me" feature so I'm probably reading this horribly out of context.

Has anyone actually read his book? Is this REALLY what he is saying? Should I be freaking out now because I really should be trying to lose 20 pounds, not 5??? I've attached a HIGHLY scientific poll, too :)

You know, I have a real problem with these types of blanket statements. That said, I have a problem with Dr. Oz in general. He has made some boneheaded statements on other topics as well (circumcision, childbirth to name a few.) Oh, but Oprah loves him, so let us now bow down and worship;).

At 18 years old, I was 5'8" and weighed 114 lbs. I thought I was healthy, but at 18, a body can take more abuse than at 46, no matter what the weight. When I went away to college I got several colds, mono, and my hypoglycemia was out of control. I am sure being underweight, combined with poor diet and health habits were part of it. When I look back to the healthiest I have felt (high mental and physical energy, stable blood sugars, strong immune system) I weighed between 138 and 145. I am 25 lbs more than that, now :(.

So, for your poll, I am now 50 lbs more than I weighed in high school.

I think that it depends on whether or not one's weight WAS healthy at the age of 18! I was 128 pounds and very athletic. (Lifted weights, ran all the time, etc.)

I'm aiming for within my healthy BMI range for my height and it's close to that. But I *have* to take into account that I've had 6 children, too, so I'm not aiming for 128! lol If I get within 10 pounds of that, I will be extremely pleased.

I say shoot for a good BMI because it gives a range, taking into account other factors like bone structure and build. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf

You know, I have a real problem with these types of blanket statements. That said, I have a problem with Dr. Oz in general. He has made some boneheaded statements on other topics as well (circumcision, childbirth to name a few.) Oh, but Oprah loves him, so let us now bow down and worship;).

:lol::lol::lol: I actually forgot about the Oprah factor...I was linking from book to book to book on amazon, and stumbled onto this one. Plus, it was late at night and dh is away on business, so what else is a girl going to do at 11:30 pm but get on amazon and waste a couple of hours!

I thought it was ridiculous, too. I am 5' 7" and was a (probably unhealthy) 113 at the end of my 18th year. I had been 130 at 17, but went to college, got a TERRIBLE gastro problem the first month of school and lost a bunch of weight. I gained and maintained a healthy 125 (and was very physically active) from age 27 - 35, when I got pregnant with my first at 35. I'm now 10 over that, but don't feel awful, just pudgy -- probably mostly due to no exercise. NO WAY would I want to be 113 again!!!

You know, I don't think BMI is a good indicator of a healthy weight. Michael Jordan, at the peak of his basketball career with a minuscule body fat percentage, would have been in the obese range based upon BMI. My personal trainer, who is very fit and tiny, is considered overweight according to her BMI. My BMI has me only slightly overweight, but I know that, based upon my small frame, I really do need to lose 20 lbs. I would look better losing 30, but then, fitness is not about how good a clothes hanger you are.