Menu

People to People Student Ambassadors - anyone know about this?

My daughter was "invited" to go to DC a cuople of years ago. It was expensive and it ended up being a glorified sight-seeing tour. None of the big speakers that were advertised had any participation...instead they were "off" people no one has heard of. We thought the kids would be the "best and brightest" type of crowd. Instead they were the usual foul-mouthed, rebelling because I am away from home group. My daughter did get to see DC and the landmarks, but the "scholarship" aspect was really never there. They did get the opportunity to eat dinner at an embassy...I cannot recall which one. We still get lots of invitations from them, but I personally, have been really turned off by the big Obama/liberal slant the programs have seemed to take instead of them being mostly about America in general. But, that is just my feeling. I have to say the security seemed excellent and that was something I was concerened about. We stayed in the DC area for the week because we drove her to the program at the beginnig of the week. Overall, my feeling was that it was a way for them to get money for a guided tour. Nothing special. I hope someone else who had a great experience shares it with you because I don't like to be such a downer.

One of ds's friends went with P to P a few years ago. Did he have fun? Yes. Could our whole family go for the same price if I put the travel arrangements together myself? Yes. Is it selective? Almost every high schooler I know has received an invite. They get their mailing lists from many sources, including public schools.

We received a letter from People to People Student Ambassodor program wanting our high school daughter to be going to Japan next summer. Does anyone know anything about this program? I haven't told my daughter anything yet since I know nothing.

Thanks all. I suspected it may be something like this. SHe has traveled widely and some of her plans for next summer is to go on a mission trip to Costa Rica (and she is learning Spanish unlike Japanese), probably continuing in dive team, and maybe doing a summer session at a college. If people are hiring, she may get a job. I think those things will be worth it more and since I always plan great vacations full of learning, I am sure we will do a few more of these before college for less money.

The lists are mailed via mass marketing. Some have even recieved one for their cat or dog! Google them and you will be amazed at some of the problems they have had. They are currently in litigation regarding the death of a child. It was completely avoidable. We got this letter for our 11 year old and researched it extensively. I did go so far as to contact the family and attorney who are currently suing. This is not the company's first suit.

Blessings

Sandra

• 1 month later...