Menu

Questions about Classical Writing and Analytical Grammar.

greensummervillian

Has anyone used Classical Writing with Analytical Grammar? My 5th grade son has done all four levels of FLL. CW Aesop looks like it will be a very easy introduction for him. I don't feel comfortable skipping straight into Homer. How would AG fit in here? Can I skip AG Jr? I'm thinking of doing CW Aesop without a grammar program this year. I would probably accelerate it. Next I'd like to do CW Homer with AG. Would this work?

I started my fifth grader out with CW Aesop A. He enjoyed the fables but there was nothing challenging for him to do with it. I've moved him to FLL 4 and WWE 3 (what's available of it). I find this to be a better fit. I think that WWE3 is more challenging than CW Aesop. In FLL 4 we are learning to diagram sentences, also a good bit ahead of the CW. Maybe it's just the format but I prefer the PHP items. I doubt I will go back to CW. YMMV.

Has anyone used Classical Writing with Analytical Grammar? My 5th grade son has done all four levels of FLL. CW Aesop looks like it will be a very easy introduction for him. I don't feel comfortable skipping straight into Homer. How would AG fit in here? Can I skip AG Jr? I'm thinking of doing CW Aesop without a grammar program this year. I would probably accelerate it. Next I'd like to do CW Homer with AG. Would this work?

I think CW Aesop is a great place to start. It will probably be on the easy side, but that will build confidence. He can change the setting and characters as long as he doesn't change the moral of the story. If you are really worried about him being board you can start with Aesop B, but I wouldn't go directly to Homer. Do you realize that while Aesop A is listed as 3rd grade and Aesop B is listed as 4th both are only 18 weeks of work, so you could easily do both in 5th grade and be ready to start AG and Homer in 6th.

Aesop really covers the same stuff as JAG, just JAG has complete answer keys and CW always has the answer key for the base work, but will often suggest review that they will not have answer for. I am not strong enough in grammar to do it on my own-at least not with the complex sentences used. :D

Homer A really doesn't cover that much more-it begins again with the parts of speech. It is more serious about diagramming. The additional grammar it does cover is more tense work, going from singular to plural and going from common to proper nouns. It isn't till Homer B that verbals and other topics things in season 2 of AG are used. My oldest is doing AG at half pace while doing Homer A and Beginning Poetry and so far it has worked well.

Heather