Menu

Which method of analyzing sentences is better to learn, parsing or diagramming?

swimnactmom

Harvey's Grammar and Classical Writing, for example, have you first parse a sentence, and then diagram it.

Parsing a sentence ensures that you can identify parts of speech correctly, along with their properties (number, gender, case). Diagramming ensures that you can identify the function of the words and phrases (what do they modify, etc.?). It also helps you to distinguish the main clause from the dependent ones.

I prefer to skip parsing and just do diagramming, but that's because I'm lazy (and because I can never remember the difference between a relative pronoun and a demonstrative one). But I believe they are both important, and I'm glad that my dc have to do both for their CW work.

Your question about learning styles is interesting. You may have something there. I think that an individual will probably find one or the other easier to do, and that this may be because of learning style, but I still think it's important to do both.

both. We learned diagramming first because I had never heard of Parsing before CW Homer. The diagramming really helped dd to understand verb parsing. Noun parsing was easy for her, but verb parsing was much more difficult. I really think if it wasnt for the extensive diagramming she had already been taught in Winston 1, she would be having much more difficulty. She is getting the verb parsing, but it is not coming as easy for her as noun parsing. I was looking ahead to adj parsing and I know she can do that easily as she has already done much of that in other grammar programs, just not called parsing. I do the parsing and diagramming lessons together because they flow together.

I would have to say both complement each other? I remember being in 4th grade when we learned to analyze sentences and we learned it both ways. I don't remember for sure which one we learned first, probably parsing? I also know we were required to do both for our University Entrance Exam.

At bare minimum, writing the part of speech (or abbreviation) over each word in a sentence. With true parsing, you make a chart for the sentence, and list each word on a separate row. Then you will have a column for each of the aspects of the word (definition applied, role, classification, properties).

I've attached an example (small pdf file) that's adapted from a CW Homer lesson.

HTH!

parsing.pdf

parsing.pdf

I prefer to skip parsing and just do diagramming, but that's because I'm lazy (and because I can never remember the difference between a relative pronoun and a demonstrative one). But I believe they are both important, and I'm glad that my dc have to do both for their CW work.

It's good to know that I'm not the only lazy homeschooling mom that doesn't care for parsing. I agree that it is a good skill to have though. My main problem is that I didn't even know what most of the classifications were, let alone decide which one applied. I've come a long way this year...