Menu

Best color to paint a garage....

This is our labor day project...completely wash/clean/debugify our garage...I'm pretty conservative on garage colors but grey seems too depressing, white is too shocking, so looking for any of you color afficionados that might be able to find that perfect mix of "I'm clean, welcome home, SMILE" color, I really think just getting it organized and debugged will go a long way...my house is mostly colors like Carrington Beige (BM or SW) Jamestown Gold, Buff and such..(earthy tones)

Thanks!!!

Tara

It's been a few years, but when we finished sheetrocking our garage, we used an old Sherwin Williams color, Dover White. We don't have windows, we do have a concrete floor and this is Oregon. We needed something light, not grey, and not feminine. I considered darker, warm walls but we do a lot of projects and I need to be able to see. Also, I have red stairwell walls that I find a nightmare to maintain. The garage walls are a semi-gloss that I can wipe down if need be. I also touch up on a regular basis as I find no joy in the thought of repainting the garage any time soon. Good luck. It's so nice to drive into a clean garage.:D

oooh the blue/teal with sparklies sounds like a cheerful color, my kids would turn it into a disco room if I did that! :) I forgot about the red brick steps inside the garage leading up to the door..guess it has to blend with that...I didn't even think about semi-gloss as the surface...I guess that would give it a sheen and make it easier to clean..I like the leafy green or pale blue..dover white sounds like what I used on my trim...creamy like..hitting the paint store after lunch...thanks for the ideas!!!

Tara

oooh the blue/teal with sparklies sounds like a cheerful color, my kids would turn it into a disco room if I did that! :) I forgot about the red brick steps inside the garage leading up to the door..guess it has to blend with that...I didn't even think about semi-gloss as the surface...I guess that would give it a sheen and make it easier to clean..I like the leafy green or pale blue..dover white sounds like what I used on my trim...creamy like..hitting the paint store after lunch...thanks for the ideas!!!

Tara

It would definitely make you smile every time you pulled up ;)

ETA, wow a whole thread for that...:nopity:

Edited by lionfamily1999

:rofl:

Honey, we have to pick a color that doesn't clash with rust.

I actually wanted to paint my house vibrant pinks, purples, blues and greens, but dh wouldn't let me. Since then, however, he's gotten rather irritated with some of our new neighbors and is rethinking his stance on all white... If I get my way and get to paint my house however I want, I will post some pics :) Of course, it will probably be years in the future... but, hey, I can day dream.

:rofl:

Honey, we have to pick a color that doesn't clash with rust.

I actually wanted to paint my house vibrant pinks, purples, blues and greens, but dh wouldn't let me. Since then, however, he's gotten rather irritated with some of our new neighbors and is rethinking his stance on all white... If I get my way and get to paint my house however I want, I will post some pics :) Of course, it will probably be years in the future... but, hey, I can day dream.

Oh Julie, too much.:lol::lol:

I am the daughter of a builder and an interior designer. The color of my car and the exterior of my house/interior of my garage matters very much-to my mother.:D I find the whole concept way too difficult to practice in real life. I hope the op doesn't have any designers in her family. It's simpler and cheaper that way.

Oh Julie, too much.:lol::lol:

I am the daughter of a builder and an interior designer. The color of my car and the exterior of my house/interior of my garage matters very much-to my mother.:D I find the whole concept way too difficult to practice in real life. I hope the op doesn't have any designers in her family. It's simpler and cheaper that way.

The choir says... Amen

Not designers, dh is a mechanic. Too much knowledge can be a real road block to progress.

No designers in the family, okay 2 first cousins majored in design, but they'll never see it! :) I caved, I went and looked at many options....but fell into the whole cream color...I actually picked a color based on the name, it's SW Eaglet Eye....since our stables are Goldfinch Stables, I figured Eaglet Eye would carry on the theme and be an easier color for me to remember if I ever need to touch up! :) Practicality wins out every time....I really wanted to try a green/yellow but when I realized the red brick steps were smack dab in my garage I had all those ideas of clashing going on....Off to sweep/wash/dry vac up all I can....I even bought trim paint for the doors/windows...so excited to get it done!!! Thanks for all your help!!!

Labor Day projects...love 'em or hate 'em, just gotta gettem dun!!!

Tara