Menu

s/o children's favorite...

The year my son turned six, I got a new camera and gave him my hand-me-down. It was a HUGE HIT with him, and three years later he continues to use the heck out of it.

Before I gave my son my old camera, we had bought him one of those $25 cheapos from Target. The quality was horrible, and it wasn't intuitive to use. Plus it was too difficult for him to upload to the computer without adult help. It turned out to be a huge bust, and I would have been better off putting that $25 towards a decent name brand camera in the $50 range. I always find respectable brand and quality cameras in the $50 range on the discount tables at Best Buy, Circuit City, et cetera. Usually they are display models or damaged box cameras, but I've always had good luck purchasing those.

I don't have any recommendations, but hopefully by bumping this thread you can get some. Great idea for a gift :)

We did this for my DD last year when she was four. I tried out and returned several of the "kid" cameras. But the quality was absolutely horrible. So I searched eBay and craigslist for a used camera in the price range you are looking for. Found one and she loves it. Of course, these cameras are not as durable as a kid camera, but the quality is much better....plus, the kid cameras are very expensive.

Thanks!! You gave some great ideas! About a month ago she was begging me to take a few pictures with our camera. I relented and she snapped a few after I gave her a few basic instructions. One turned out great! It was centered and clear. I thought that was pretty decent for a just turned 5 year old. I sent it to some family members and my MIL was astonished that DD5 took the picture...she almost doesn't believe it ;). So I think we might have to put an end to her begging and get her a camera for herself. After briefly looking, I saw some good numbers on ebay.

So this thread got me to thinking about gift ideas for my kids. I think my oldest DD5 would love a digital camera. I'd like to get her something that was inexpensive, but works...No hundred dollar camera...20/30 dollar range. Any recs?

I saw the vtech digital camera on clearance at Walmart last week for about $29. I highly recommend this camera - my 6 yo loves it! He can make pictures and video with sound - add cute graphics and can plug it into the TV to see the images as well. This camera was still $60 at target the same week!

Oh - the quality is very low, but usually young kids just like to see the images on the screens and tv anyway. Plus its very sturdy.

ETA - I read the rest of the posts after posting this - sounds like your child may be able to handle a "real" digital camera. My 6 yo - will probably have to be 12 before I can trust him!!!

Edited by Brenda in FL

I'm sorry, I don't know the cost (they got them as gifts). But they have had a blast for the year they have had them. Very durable (read: have outlasted 2 boys) and they can do creative editing with the photos both in the camera and, once downloaded, online. And it has voice-over capability, alllowing them to "narrate" their pics.