Menu

Various bean allergies...Need advice, please.

If someone is allergic (eczema, not deadly reactions) to garbanzos, lentils, and soybeans, but not allergic to pinto beans, black beans, or kidney beans, would you think they would or would not be allergic to white beans such as great northern? There wasn't enough blood to run the test for the white beans and I'm wondering if we should do another blood draw to find out for sure or if it is similar enough to make an assumption one way or the other.

My infant has had skin problems his entire life. At birth (40 weeks, we're positive), the ped. commented that his skin looked like a 42-weeker. No vernix, cracked, etc. About the time that was under control he developed eczema. After ruling out all other environmental factors, we finally had blood drawn to see if he was allergic to any of the foods I eat. He had been exclusively breast-fed up to that point and was just beginning a few solids.

After getting those results, we had a second blood draw done to test for more foods. We just now got those results back. I immediately cut out the offending foods from my diet after the first test and he is SO much better. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can fix a variety of meals that everybody can eat instead of a meal for mommy/baby and a meal for everyone else.

We don't have an allergist in a reasonable distance. My husband (family practice MD) has ordered the first two tests. He's leaving it up to me if I want another blood draw done on baby :001_huh: . So, I'm asking you! It would make my life a lot simpler if he could have them (I have a lot of recipes for cream sauces, etc. that use while beans).

(We are vegetarian, btw)

The boy is allergic to:

cashews*, almonds, walnuts, pecans and peanuts* (I don't like peanuts)

egg white*

wheat, oats, soybeans, gluten

sesame seeds

garbanzos, lentils

flax seeds*

We know he is not allergic to:

rice, corn, millet, buckwheat

potato, apple, orange, tomato

pine nuts

sunflower seeds

yeast

milk (but I'm allergic...I've been eating more dairy just to eat SOMETHING, and I've been feeling it. ugh)

black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans

*registered high, everything else was low-moderate. We are hoping he grows out of it!

Did the doctor tell you that the test has a significant false positive rate? In my mind the low positives are suspects rather than certain allergies. I'd pull them (and northern and anything else unsure) first. Do safe foods. Let his skin get cleared up. Then add them in (northern beans and any others unsure without true positives) one at a time with time between them. Look for skin reactions. If you don't see it assume it's safe even if he was a low positive on the test. They aren't likely all allergens.

To answer your question I don't think there is known cross-reactivity between his allergies and white beans. And the allergy itself would be rare. You can google white bean allergy and find lots of cross reactivity information. Avoid anything on his list that is highly crossreactive to peanut or tree nut. I know walnut (my son is anaphylactic to that) is cross reactive with coconut. And a tree nut allergy to any tree nut is considered an allergy to all. I mention because otherwise coconut milk and flours might be suggested. I wouldn't use them in your case because of his nut allergies.

I would not feed him nor eat nuts or peanuts unless he has another negative test at some point for those because of the high anaphylaxis risk. Eggs are high allergens and that is likely (and he very well may outgrow that one if you avoid). I'd continue to avoid garbonzo and lentils as they are peanut cross reactive I think. The other common allergens on his list are the wheat and soy. So leave those out too for a while at least before you trial. Seeds are more allergenic than some other things.

Don't eat dairy if you're allergic if you can help it. He may respond to your allergic reaction. There are rice and potato milks. Just looking at your list and knowing you're vegetarian I see you've got a major protein problem so I can see why you're tempted to do dairy and need the beans. Trial in the Northern when his skin is cleared. I suspect you'll be ok with them. If you can you might rotate the safe foods so you're not eating anything more than every three days. That may prevent a new allergy and keep you from getting tired of the same thing all the time too. Quinoa is a high protein grain you might look into. It's corn cross-reactive I think but I don't know of other cross-reactions to it and corn isn't on your list. Corn is an absolute nightmare allergy so don't eat that day after day. You don't want him sensitizing to it. Add fat to your diet directly (say oil on salads and such) because that will help you get calories and feel full. Fats themselves are low allergens (not nut oils of course) s the protein is removed. Even my coconut allergic child does ok with coconut oil.

Consider (allergen free) probiotics for him and yourself too if you can. There is evidence of connections between intestine issues and food allergies.

:grouphug: I know this is hard.

There is a website (pay unfortunately but a low yearly rate and I do it) called kidswithfoodallergies It might be helpful both in answering your questions and also in getting ideas for foods. They have a recipe database and lots of people dealing with multiple food allergies. It's good not to feel so alone in this.

Oh, did the doctor suggest an epi pen for him? I'd want that becuase of the peanut and tree nut allergies. My son had anaphylaxis on his first known walnut exposure. There is so much cross reaction that even if you carefully avoid (and especially as he's eating his own food) there is a risk.

Edited by sbgrace

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it. I haven't had time to look over all the information yet, but it gives me a lot to go on. I was a bit overwhelmed when we got the first set of results back, but now I'm beginning to find a bit of variety to eat (I've lost 10 lbs in the past month...I needed to do it, but I hadn't guessed it would be by the "my nursing child has a lot of allergies diet"). I really do appreciate all the information!

:001_smile:

My oldest girl (now 9) is allergic to all legumes, including all sorts of beans, though many of them are low-reactive. She ate lots of beans and peas as a baby and little girl; it developed later on. But, now that I know, I think her terrible eczema as a baby may well have been due to the peas and green beans I fed her when she started solid foods.

So, I might try cutting out all legumes for a while and seeing how that works.