Menu

Orthodontia - Have exp. with this alternative to headgear?

Background: Our 13 yo ds has been in headgear for about 13 months, but it isn't working. Headgear is supposed to help push the lower jaw forward and works especially well during that growth period young boys go through. Our ds isn't full into that growth period, but we expect it will come soon. It should to be warn at least 12-14 hours consecutively, but not expected to be warn outside of home. Our ds doesn't get enough hours in and I think part of it is that we are gone for activities during some days or evenings, and he ends up taking it off too early before he gets out of bed because it is uncomfortable to sleep with.

Alternative: So there is a new option the orthodontist is suggesting. It involves attaching a spring to one of his bands on the top and a small rod on the bottom. It will force him to push his jaw forward. It is inside his month so not seen like headgear, is worn all the time with no option to take out.

Do any of your kids have this? How is it working? How hard is it to get used to? Is eating or talking a problem?

My son wears an herbst appliance that sounds like what you are taking about. He just got it 3 days ago so I don't have any information for you. However if you search on these boards under "herbst" I know you'll find information because I remember researching on these boards before we decided what to do.

Good luck!

ETA - I was told that is takes a few weeks to get used to and to expect the jaws to be sore everytime it is adjusted, (about every 10 weeks). My ds is having trouble eating since he got it because only his back two teeth hit together right now. The ortho said his jaw line will readjust pretty quick and it will be easy to chew once more teeth are hitting. His jaws have been pretty sore and he has taken 3 doses of Motrin over three days. He is also talking a little different, but no real problems with that. He goes to a charter school and hasn't had any issues with the other children or any down time since he got it on Tues.

Edited by Ferdie

It's called a Herbst appliance. Both of my boys have them. So far, it is working very well on my oldest. He has had his for 6 months and his bite is much improved. They are now working on straightening and pulling down his impacted canine. He adjusted to it very well. No difference in talking, minor adjustments in eating. For the first few days, he had to eat soft foods because chewing has been difficult (teeth not lining up as he was used to.) The last time he had it advanced, he had chewing difficulties again, but it only lasted a day before he adjusted.

My younger son just got his. He is my sensory kid, so I thought he would have a harder time adjusting. He actually seemed to adjust easier. He has had problems with the appliance where the arms on one side were not behaving the same as the other side. He didn't tell me about it until the cap that anchored it to the bottom tooth popped off the second time. After that repair, they took the arms off, determining that they were actually defective. He gets new arms put on next week.

The only change my boys had to make for the long term has been not to eat really crunchy foods like raw carrots. They have to cut up apples to eat them. Other than that, no real difference.