Menu

What would you pay for a mother's helper? In Chicago?

My dd has been offered a babysitting job. She is 12yo and not yet Red Cross certified. The mother would be present in the house with dd. There are two infants and a toddler.

The mother is offering $7/hour. I feel that is a bit too much and hate to set the bar there. However, I rarely hire babysitters and may not know the going rate.

FWIW we live in Chicago.

Well, dh and I hardly ever go out unless a family member can watch our kids because the going rate for teenage babysitters around here is $12-$15 per hour. It's usually more expensive to pay the babysitter than to do whatever activity we plan to do. So, to me, $7.00 per hour for a mother's helper doesn't seem too much. I had an adult mother's helper when my kids were babies and I was trying to paint my house to get it ready to sell, and she charged $10.00/hr.

I worried about some people paying too much when my dds started babysitting. However, I quickly realized it was a lot of work and also affected our schedule, so I was glad they were being paid well. The $7 and hour sounds fair. Here, in Ohio, my 17yo dd is Red Cross certified and has CPR training and she gets $10/hr.

~

Leanna

Why is too much a problem?

There are a couple reasons. One is that I would not want dd to be paid disproportionately more than others in the area and develop a reputation for being expensive (as in--TOO expensive to hire). Another is that I hate to set the bar for babysitting fees so high that people cannot afford to hire. Another is that I don't like to overcharge when the mother will be in the house--as in, taking the real responsibility for safety--while dd is there to entertain.

I don't underestimate the work involved. I know it requires skill and patience to manage small ones. Fortunately dd just loves children and does a fantastic job keeping them happy. She brings activities to do and plays with them and is great at soothing and calming. She's developed quite a reputation in our church nursery! I am very proud of her in this area, and am happy for her to have the chance to earn some money doing something she enjoys. I just want to make sure that the rate is fair.