Menu

*MORE* Grammar Questions......

MariannNOVA

Recap: We were using R&S Grammar and none of us was enjoying it -- or even able to pretend to like it. :ack2:

I am getting ready to make new purchases and I have pretty much decided to go with JAG for dd10 (5th grade) -- she did IEW Intensive Writing A last year in 4th grade, and she will do Medieval Theme IEW Writing this year. I like the looks of jag.

Any suggestions on Grammar for the almost 9 year old (3rd grade) twins -- they do seem to be (I have noticed) bored with much of the 3rd grade stuff so we are working quickly to challenge them and get them into 4th grade work perhaps early 2010. I am looking at Winston. I don't really care for Shurley, we've already ditched R&S -- I've read good things about Winston here on this board -- anyone using anything else they really like? TIA

We've used Winston successfully, but for our two older db's when they were 10 and 11, respectively. You could certainly try it, but I like FLL for the ages you are looking for. Our 9yo ds is using FLL and we both love it. He asks to do it first. (That alone speaks volumes.) We did FLL 1/2 double-time in 3rd grade and he's now doing FLL 3. (We don't start grammar until they're reading proficiently.)

I think FLL 4 would be a great place for your twins. Samples here.

Or yet another option might be Easy Grammar. That is what our 12yo is doing this year and he says it reminds him of Winston. (Straight-forward, uncluttered, no-nonsense grammar)

My 2 cents,:)

Edited by angela&4boys

I'd use JAG for all of them if the youngers are strong with grammar. I'd just adjust my expectations for their ages. Just in case you weren't aware, JAG includes only the parts of speech, not mechanics and usage. I paired JAG with Evan Moor's Grammar and Punctuation workbook successfully, but you can just as easily address mechanics/usage via writing (copywork/dictation).

I'd use JAG for all of them if the youngers are strong with grammar. I'd just adjust my expectations for their ages.

I may start with that approach -- the twins are quite strong with grammar and they can use a challenge. If it doesn't work, I can change it, but right now, it seems like the best way to institute the change.