Menu

bible curriculum for the not so religious?

cmarango

A bit of background info:

I was raised Lutheran, but don't really remember anything from that. I slept through just about everything and frequently mangle basic bible stories. My husband was raised Catholic and knows a bit more than me, but neither of us cares too much about religion. However, I would like to expose our children to religion so that they will at least know the basic bible stories and and it would be a bonus to learn something about catholicism.

So, can anyone recommend a suitable curriculum for our family? My daughter is currently doing preschool activities.

Thanks so much,

Christina

Christina -

My religious background is similar to yours and I have simply read Bible storybooks to my kids starting during the preschool years. Some of the ones we've enjoyed the most are the Egermeier Bible Storybook and the The Children's Story Bible by Catherine Vos. The DK Children's Everyday Bible might be nice for your daughter's age. My kids have learned so much just with me reading a story or two a day out of these books.

Lisa

We love our Egermeier's Bible Story Book. It covers all the basic Bible stories but it doesn't get into doctrine at all. A simplier story book would be 101 Favorite Stories from the Bible by Ura Miller. I'm actually using that one right now with my youngest son's curriculum and he just loves it.

My favorite Bible story book is The Golden Children's Bible. I don't own it but I want it. It's very beautiful and uses text that is very similiar to the KJV, so the language is pretty and intelligent sounding, not babyish. I believe that is the one that Memoria Press uses in their Christian Studies course. They are a Catholic company. That course would be appropriate for a middle-school aged child, I believe, but the storybook would be fine (maybe a little long) for your pre-schooler.

Or, you could just read the stories from a Bible. Here are lists of Bible stories that you can use to find stories to read:

Old Testament Stories:

http://pennygardner.com/oldtest.html

New Testament Stories: http://pennygardner.com/newtest.html

Penny Gardner's Bible page:

http://pennygardner.com/bible.html

The lists are from Penny Gardner's site. She happens to have lots of info. for moms of preschoolers. You may enjoy some of that.

Calvary Chapel has free Bible story coloring pages.

Old Testament:

http://children.calvarychapel.com/site/curriculum.htm

New Testament:

http://children.calvarychapel.com/site/curriculum_n.htm

I taught a Sunday School class for over a year just using those coloring pages, reading the stories that went along with them, and doing an extra page or two from the free printables (each story has multiple pages). We took the pictures they colored and made a timeline.

My favorite Bible story book is The Golden Children's Bible. I don't own it but I want it. It's very beautiful and uses text that is very similiar to the KJV, so the language is pretty and intelligent sounding, not babyish. I believe that is the one that Memoria Press uses in their Christian Studies course. They are a Catholic company. That course would be appropriate for a middle-school aged child, I believe, but the storybook would be fine (maybe a little long) for your pre-schooler.

Actually, just to clear this up, Memoria Press is NOT a Catholic company, and their Christian Studies course is a fairly generic, nondenominational Christian program. There is nothing specifically Catholic there. It is good for older kids, but I probably wouldn't start under 4th grade for it. The Golden Bible by itself would be OK, but I think there are better things out there for younger kids.

If you are looking for something Catholic, Fr. Lovasik's New Catholic Picture Bible is a nice children's story bible. You can PM me if you want something with more Catholic doctrine in it, but the NCPB would be a nice book to read through with younger kids to learn about bible stories and such.

Just getting a nice story bible and reading through it with the kids may be a good option for you.

Actually, just to clear this up, Memoria Press is NOT a Catholic company, and their Christian Studies course is a fairly generic, nondenominational Christian program. There is nothing specifically Catholic there.

Oh, sorry. I get their little magazine/newsletter thing and I thought I had specifically read that they are Catholic though not marketed only to Catholics. I knew their course wasn't heavy on doctrine but I thought it would atleast be a friendly option for Christina.

I have to suggest/second Memoria Press - because their Christian Studies program is approached as a literary study - not a religious study. It will teach your kids the bible stories and the many, many common sayings that came out of the Bible. It does include verse memory work, but that could be easily skipped. I think it would be a great study.

It is NOT a catholic study though, just a study of the Bible.

Oh, sorry. I get their little magazine/newsletter thing and I thought I had specifically read that they are Catholic though not marketed only to Catholics. I knew their course wasn't heavy on doctrine but I thought it would atleast be a friendly option for Christina.

Donna, I agree that it could be a good option for Christina. :001_smile: I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way.

There was a thread on this a little while ago. I think a few of the authors happen to be Catholic, but the company is not. I think sometimes people think they are because of the Latin prayers and the use of Henle.

As a Catholic, I am happily using this program, but it is not a Catholic program. Actually, I think of it as almost a bible-as-literature approach almost, giving kids good cultural literacy. I have to add in my own doctrine and interpretation, which I prefer. I would think a wide variety of people would be comfortable using it, maybe even secularly.

Just didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression of it.