Menu

South Dakota (Rapid City area) Help. What to do there?

What is the coolest thing to do there that kids would enjoy? (ages 12, 9, 6) I am looking at the Badlands, Black Hills Forrest, and Buffalo Gap Grasslands. We have already done Mt. Rushmore so I probably won't do that this time.

I thought there might have been a really cool dinosaur museum but I am not finding anything that really stands out.

Recommendations?

TIA

We liked the Reptile Gardens, Custer State Park, the Badlands, Wind Cave, and hiking to Sylvan Peak. The kids loved the trail ride in the Badlands, although I found it terrifying. We also did some rock hunting in the Badlands and found some very cool rocks. You have to have permission and do it on private property though. You can't collect anything from the state park.

We've never been to that area at all, so we will be doing Mount Rushmore. The other things on our itenerary are The Journey Museum (I've read that this is a good place to start to put everything else you see in the area in a geological and historical context), Museum of Geology (we happen to be doing Earth Science this year), Crazy Horse, Jewel Cave, Mammoth Site, Custer State Park, Miuteman Missile Silo (I have boys) and the Badlands. If we had more time (and money) we would do Bear Country USA and the Reptile Gardens, but those got nixed from our list. We're looking forward to it. Have a good trip! -Ida

In Hill City, there is the Black Hills Geological Institute - a small, but interesting paleontological museum. We enjoyed it when we went last year. We loved Custer State Park and would go back again. Lots of beautiful hiking trails and a wide variety of scenery and landscapes - prairies, forests, mountains, you name it. We liked Wind Cave. My daughter wanted to go to Jewel Cave, but we couldn't fit it in. If you are up for a drive, Devil's Tower in Wyoming is not that far away and it is a pretty drive.

Deadwood (there is gambling, though), the 1880's train ride to Hill City, Lead, Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, Crazy Horse Monument, a drive through The Needles (I think that's the name???), Spearfish Canyon is beautiful. They use to put on a Passion Play in Spearfish that was very well done. South of the Black Hills area in Hot Springs there is a museum built where they are excavating mammoths; that was fascinating.

Janet

We've never been to that area at all, so we will be doing Mount Rushmore. The other things on our itenerary are The Journey Museum (I've read that this is a good place to start to put everything else you see in the area in a geological and historical context), Museum of Geology (we happen to be doing Earth Science this year), Crazy Horse, Jewel Cave, Mammoth Site, Custer State Park, Miuteman Missile Silo (I have boys) and the Badlands. If we had more time (and money) we would do Bear Country USA and the Reptile Gardens, but those got nixed from our list. We're looking forward to it. Have a good trip! -Ida

Dh and I did Bear Country when we were first married and were not impressed. The bears looked so sad and not extremely healthy. They didn't seem to have any life in them. We were very disappointed and felt sorry for the bears. However, that was 20 years ago, so it might be totally different now.

Janet

Dh and I did Bear Country when we were first married and were not impressed. The bears looked so sad and not extremely healthy. They didn't seem to have any life in them. We were very disappointed and felt sorry for the bears. However, that was 20 years ago, so it might be totally different now.

Janet

We didn't do Bear Country because we heard nothing but negative reports. Reptile Gardens was cool though.

What is the coolest thing to do there that kids would enjoy? (ages 12, 9, 6) I am looking at the Badlands, Black Hills Forrest, and Buffalo Gap Grasslands. We have already done Mt. Rushmore so I probably won't do that this time.

I thought there might have been a really cool dinosaur museum but I am not finding anything that really stands out.

Recommendations?

TIA

I don't know how to link so I copied and pasted a note I made to another poster earlier this summer. The thinks I listed are just a tip of the ice berg.

Well, I am from Sturgis so I will repeat to avoid the first week of Aug. Actually you would be good to avoid the last week of July also as it is already major crazy then.

I have lived here most of my life and my most favorite spot is Spearfish canyon. It is beautiful! You can camp in a park in Spearfish, spend time in the Fish Hatchery very close by. Then tour up the canyon. There is Bridle Veil Falls as you drive up the canyon. There is Rough lock Falls at the end and up on off road about a mile. It is paved though. There is a nice walk from Rough Lock Falls down to what is called Latch String Inn. Then another beautiful hike behind Latch String Inn is called the Botonical gardens and you go down to see Spearfish Falls. You can do all of this in one day and the most it costs is your food(Latch String Inn has a nice restaurant if you want. There are picnic tables at Rough Lock Falls) gas and food for the fish and ducks at the hatchery.

Just out of Deadwood is what is called Tatanka. It is a life size sculpture of a buffalo jump. There is a shop and lectures there about some Native American history and the history of Tatanka itself. I really enjoy that.

Devils tower is not far from Spearfish, possibly an hour. There is a path to walk around the tower.

You named Rushmore and Crazy Horse. They are really great. I enjoy Custer park also. There is quite a bit of wild life there and most of the time there will be wild donkeys that will come up to your car and want a snack so beware of open windows. They are fun.

There are other things that are lots of fun if you have the money to spend. Bear Country, Old Mc Donalds Farm, cave, losts of caves, Cosmos(never been there myself), Sylvan Lake has a couple of great highking trails. The hike up Harney Peak takes off from Sylvan lake. It is a hike though.

Outside of Sturgis is Bear Butte. That can be another hike to the top if you want or just go to the base and read the history about it. Just outside of Sturgis is Fort Meade. There is a Museum there. Been a long time since I have gone there so don't know what it is like as late.

In Rapid City there is the Journey Museum. It is pretty cool and not real expensive.

It really depends on your finances. If money isn't a big issue there are a lot of places to go and do. If finances are a bit tight there are still a lot of places to go and to just way different.

If you have any questions about specific things send me a pm.

Hope you have a great time.

I LOVE South Dakota! That is practically home for me. We're from western Nebraska. We spent our honeymoon in Deadwood. One of my favorite things to do as a kid was hit Evans Plunge.

http://www.evansplunge.com/

If you have time for something like that I would go!! :001_smile:

There is soooo much to do up in that area. Everyone has already listed everything else I would have said. I'm jealous! I'd love to hit SD with the kids!