Menu

Where do I go from here - kinesthetic phonics?

FairProspects

We're working through Sensational Strategies for Teaching Beginning Readers, an Orton-Gillingham program, and it is working well because it is multi-sensory. The problem is that I think we will be through it (well, the reading part anyway) in about 6 weeks because DS is just not ready at 5 to go on and do the full-on dictation/sentence writing (although we will keep working on handwriting slowly).

It has however taught him to read cvc words and blend. Where do we move from here? OPG? Is there any way to make OPG kinesthetic? The reason I think the phonograms are sticking for DS is the hands-on sand tracing and fact that there are visual, auditory and kinesthetic drills. Anything else like that for phonics that will take him to reading fluency? (This program introduces all letter sounds and diagraphs ch, sh, th (hard), th (soft), and wh. Any ideas where to move for a kinesthetic learner?

Wellllll. . . . .

I'm not sure I'm going to be any help, but at 5 he's doing great! How about just lots of practice reading what he knows already - which seems to be quite a bit. Fluency, in my experience, comes from plenty of practice and then maturity.

At 5, he has a loooong way to go. And he's a boy. Enjoy his accomplishments for now, let him "percolate" for 6 months or so, and revisit it then.

Recipe for Reading by Traub and Bloom has a lot of great ideas, you can design a whole program from it, or use its suggestions with another program.

(You can get by with just the $24.85 manual if you work from a whiteboard or with magnetic letters, which I recommend for a young struggling student.)

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=491M

You could also try my game, it's a fun way to get in a lot of extra practice.

Recipe for Reading by Traub and Bloom has a lot of great ideas, you can design a whole program from it, or use its suggestions with another program.

(You can get by with just the $24.85 manual if you work from a whiteboard or with magnetic letters, which I recommend for a young struggling student.)

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=491M

You could also try my game, it's a fun way to get in a lot of extra practice.

Recipe for Reading is the follow up to Sensational Strategies. see this post: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=807429&postcount=22