Menu

Has anyone been to Colonial Williamsburg recently

and gotten the homeschooling 50% discount?

I know this has been mentioned on this list. I called today to find out details and I was informed that the discount is only for the educator (me) and not the family. (hubby or kids)

Does anyone have recent experience with this?

Thanks!

We went last week. (I only have very hazy memories of it. I had my wisdom teeth taken out and I was on major drugs at the time ;) My 18 yos did the driving. :) )

The only discount I am aware of is during homeschool weeks which occur 2x per yr....March and Sept.

FWIW....I took 9 kids (ok, the 2 yo doesn't REALLY count.....so 8, ages 20-6) Every single one of them emphatically stated that Jamestown was their favorite. They all thought the CW was OK, but loved Jamestown and wanted to go back.

HTH

We went a few weeks ago during the home educators week. The prices were very discounted for all the people in our party. I don't even know they had a discount for other times of the year for teachers.

If you can wait until Sept. - I would d=take advantage for the home educators week. The price was $5 per day or $8 for two days.

If you are oigng right now - do they still have their winter prices in effect? They were much reduced from the regular prices. And if you stayed in one of their hotels you got into CW for free. But those prices were ending sometime in March.

We only went for two days - and didn't see everything! We could have used at least another day.

We also went to Yorktown and Jamestown (the NPS sites). We did both in one day but should have given a day for each. Your kids can do the Junior Park Ranger program at both of those sites - and admission to one gets you into the other. Get the Junior Ranger booklets at the gift shop before you start.

At CW - they were not taking recervations for lunch and there was only one tavern open. If you want to eat there, then I suggest you get their right before noon. If you wait much longer you will not be able to be seated.

Those are my tips!! I hope you have a great time -

Oh - and we listened to the Felicity books on audio before and during our trip. Even my son was interested. It takes place in Williamsburg, and at a near by plantation. If you drive to Yorktown you pass over the "creeks" mentioned in the book. It was really neat seeing the things we heard about in the books! (Thanks to the poster who mentioned this idea on the boards in January!!)

and gotten the homeschooling 50% discount?

I know this has been mentioned on this list. I called today to find out details and I was informed that the discount is only for the educator (me) and not the family. (hubby or kids)

Does anyone have recent experience with this?

Thanks!

We use our HSLDA id card. It has dh and my names on it so we both get the discount. Children do not get a discount, but thier admission is half of the adult admission. As long as you have some sort of Id with dh's name on it he can also get the discount.

I think it was originally designed for teachers and have allowed homeschoolers to participate. You can also get 15% off in the shops.

Any other questions let me know. We spend lots of time in Williamsburg...so much so, the folks there know us when they see us!