Menu

Books for 3yo

ArwenA

In the past two months dd3 went from working on ETC B to being able to read the Magic Tree House books without much help. She will read anything and everything she can which I find worrying sometimes.

I am looking for books that are age appropriate but on a 3rd-4th grade reading level.

TIA:)

I've only got a sec, but at this age my oldest loved, loved, loved the Jenny and the Cat Club books by Esther Averill (be sure not to forget The Fire Cat, even though it's an easy reader). I'll return to this thread when I have a bit more time...

There are so many quality story books for that age that it would be a shame for her to miss. I have been taking armloads of books out of our local library every 2-3 weeks since my dd (now almost 6yo) was a baby and we still find some gems now and then... We generally take out fiction, nonfiction, a biography, and a couple books in Spanish every trip.

We love any of the books by the author of Stellaluna, Mercer Mayer's books, and many of the older classics like Make Way for Ducklings, Madeline books, Blueberries for Sal, etc... There are just way too many to list.

My dd has been reading independently since she was 3 and loves longer stories as well as story books. She usually has a longer book going and reads the shorter ones in between plus we are always reading a book together.

For chapter books...the original Winnie the Pooh books are great reads, Narnia books, Secret Garden, Little House books, Cam Jenson books, Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little, Anne of Green Gables, The Wind in the Willows, etc...

On one of the classical education websites we found a list of 1000 Great Books that you may find helpful.

I've only got a sec, but at this age my oldest loved, loved, loved the Jenny and the Cat Club books by Esther Averill (be sure not to forget The Fire Cat, even though it's an easy reader). I'll return to this thread when I have a bit more time...

Thank you.

There are so many quality story books for that age that it would be a shame for her to miss. I have been taking armloads of books out of our local library every 2-3 weeks since my dd (now almost 6yo) was a baby and we still find some gems now and then... We generally take out fiction, nonfiction, a biography, and a couple books in Spanish every trip.

I'm open to anything. :)DD3 still loves picture books.

*Sigh*

I wish I could take a trip to the library but the workers have been locked out. Previously I was constantly thinking "We need to take fewer trips to the library. We have soooooooo many books."

Thank you for the suggestions.

Catwings, Henry & Mudge, George and Martha, Frog & Toad, Little Bear, Amblesideonline.org has some good book recommendations, and the Five In A Row books would be really good too. There is also a series of, what I call, 'Pre' Little House Books.

HTH

I like nmoira's LibraryThing list! And LauraInChina's amazon lists. I find nmoiras library thing and browsing through those recommendations helpful now. In our library system the Let's Read and Find Out series of science books were great at that age, the magic school bus series has picture books that ds loved. The Cricket in Times Square. The Berenstain Bears books and the berenstain bear scouts. Big Dog and Little Dog by Dav Pilkey (pretty easy...) The Boxcar Children. - Jill

Sometimes you can find a seller on ebay unloading a _library_ of children's books. They usu. even have all the titles listed. I have had 99 percent positive transactions on ebay so I am inclined to check there when the budget is tight. just fyi...