Menu

How long do you take to do Sonlight K , core 1 and core 2 ?

blessedmom3

Before adding in everything else (math, language arts, art, music, etc.)? K took me about an hour, Core 1 and 2 an hour to hour and a half. It REALLY varies from day to day, though - if my kids are really interested in a book, they'll ask lots of questions and there will be quite a bit of discussion.

Oh, and I guess I can't truly speak to how long Core 2 takes, since I changed it up so much. :D

I trust you're not considering trying to do 3 Cores at once? Especially "mom-intensive" cores, like K, 1 & 2?

Kindergarten took ... roughly an hour or two here. It wasn't the length of the reading selections -- it was the bouncing of the 5yr old whom I was attempting to teach! :)

I remember there was a page or two to read from one of the Usborne books, and then a read-aloud story. Now, I believe, Core K contains beginning readers, but that wasn't the case several years ago!

Core 1 took at least an hour...it depended upon how easily they took to learning to read. Two of mine are natural readers and, therefore, they could fly through a beginning reader. My oldest son struggled terribly, so he took much longer.

Core 2 is one of my favorite cores! I really enjoyed that one. I spent more time reading aloud, because the chapters are longer, etc. But I'd say no more than 2 hours.

But I can't stress enough the fact that you don't want to try to do 3 cores at once! Or even 2 cores! Yours are close enough in age that combining cores is ideal.

Mine weren't ready to do a core independently until at least Core 5 or 6...which is somewhere around age 10-11. Then it's possible to do more than one core.