Menu

So. My daughter passed her physical...

This brings up a question: For a regular well visit (and yes, I know some of you don't do those, so let's not turn this into that question, please) do your pediatricians check your child's privates? Mine does not. Never has past the age of about 2 - certainly not since they have been out of diapers.

The reason I ask is that I have a friend who is hesitant to take her kids to a well visit (they missed one last year I guess) because of this. She feels like at their ages 11 and 9 it's humiliating. And I agree!! I was appalled to even think that this is something a doctor would do! I can't even imagine why this would be routinely necessary on a child. They are not menstruating, not on birth control, not sexually active, not men with prostate or colon problems, etc.

This brings up a question: For a regular well visit (and yes, I know some of you don't do those, so let's not turn this into that question, please) do your pediatricians check your child's privates? Mine does not. Never has past the age of about 2 - certainly not since they have been out of diapers.

The reason I ask is that I have a friend who is hesitant to take her kids to a well visit (they missed one last year I guess) because of this. She feels like at their ages 11 and 9 it's humiliating. And I agree!! I was appalled to even think that this is something a doctor would do! I can't even imagine why this would be routinely necessary on a child. They are not menstruating, not on birth control, not sexually active, not men with prostate or colon problems, etc.

She's 14. He asked her if she had started her cycles and did an abdominal check. And yes, my littles (toddlers) got checked to make sure they were forming correctly. It was just a peek. Nothing to get freaked about. BUT they never checked them once they were older. I've actually never heard of such a thing.

They are not menstruating, not on birth control, not sexually active, not men with prostate or colon problems, etc.

They need to check in boys if their testicles have descended. If not, they need to check them every year and if they can be pulled down, then just wait. If they can't be pulled down or have not descended at a certain age, then they need to surgically do it.

In my girl, the doctor takes a quick peek. I'm not sure why, but I'll ask next time. :)

The reason I ask is that I have a friend who is hesitant to take her kids to a well visit (they missed one last year I guess) because of this. She feels like at their ages 11 and 9 it's humiliating

She could take them and say no to the genital check if the kids are uncomfortable.