Menu

BJUP or A Beka Math

Guest bpritt

Guest bpritt

Hi fellow educators,

I am trying to decide between BJUP and A Beka for my 1, 3, 5th graders. I want a rigorous program and one that I can stick with throughout elementary, middle and highschool grades. I've been using Saxon and I am tired of the Meeting Time but if Saxon is still considered the gold-standard of math curricula maybe I should stay with it. Does anyone know what Susan Wise Bauer currently recommends?

Thanks for your input.

Brooke

Edited by bpritt

I did not like BJU math. There are others here who really like it and I hope they will post as well so you can get a balanced look. I felt BJU math 4 was a wasted year. We did not progress much at all after an entire year using BJU. I had been using Saxon up through 3rd grade. A friend gave me BJU 4, an entire set for free! So, naturally I used it last year. I was very disappointed and plan to go back to Saxon this year.

Abeka moves pretty fast. There are multiple topics per lesson and it is rather ambitious. The folks I know who use Abeka math tend to switch to something else in high school. They tell me they prefer Saxon or Teaching Textbooks due to the cdroms that go with it.

HTH!