Menu

Has anyone stretched WT 1 over 2 years?

momto2Cs

We are planning to start up next week, and I plan on having my ds8 do Writing Tales 1, but am wondering if it would be too much of a stretch to do it over 3rd and 4th grade rather than just third. I think mainly its the rewrites of stories that have me worried as he is a reluctant writer.

Personally, I can't imagine stretching it out. Dd has fine motor delays and difficulties with spelling, leading to a definite reluctance with the physical act of writing (and word searches! Those are so hard for her. I digress). Despite that, she easily completed WT1 in just part of her third grade year - we sped it up at her request. (We'd finish a day as laid out in the teacher's guide, and she's go "That's it? Can't we do something else?")

Now, that said, if you aren't planning to do writing every day, then yes, it would be possible to spread it out. Just do each day as laid out in the teacher's guide, but don't do a "day" every day.

Agree with Patchfire. It is only 30 weeks--not really a full year. You're only writing once a week as it is--it's two weeks per story. The first week is a rough draft and the second week is the final draft. Non-writing days usually go pretty fast (except the days when you look up vocab in a dictionary--those take us longer).

with the other posters. :iagree:

The program is designed to be completed in 30 weeks. The lessons are not too difficult. The writing is fun. I know with both my sons they always loved the rewrite for the second week. My younger son wanted to go right into the rewrite sometimes. You write a draft the first week and a final draft the second week. It is fun and very doable in a year.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony