Menu

Teaching three grades

I guess I should be a lot better at this since I've been at it a long time but I just started (full fledged started, not summer mini-school) back this week and I'm finding it overwhelming. The older kids (9th, 4th grade) are doing well but my K level daughter is getting left out. I'm having a hard time finding enough hours in the day to get it all done, planned, graded, etc.

I know one of the keys will be to get my 9th grader working more independently but I do need to be somewhat involved in her studies - I am not willing to hand her a stack of books and say "See ya later" -- there are math problems I need to help her with, reading to discuss, etc.

So those of you that have many kids and have found a balance - any tips?

I'm going to patiently wait for the answer to this question! We just started this week too and I'm SOOOO overwhelmed. I've got my 8th grader quite independent this year, but like you said, I don't want to just hand him a pile of books. He's reading most of his Sonlight Core by himself this year and I feel so bad about that! But, given the ages of my kids, I just couldn't keep them together this year. I'm trying to keep ahead of him, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. I'm relying heavily on the Instructors Manual, unfortunately.

My poor little 3 yo is really getting lost in the shuffle. I've had to be very aware and schedule time with her so I remember to read to her or do a puzzle with her. Poor thing!

So, I'll keep up with this thread!!

What is working for us right now is I have a 1:1 time with each of my oldest 2 boys. I go over Latin and English, on writing editing days we edit, and on dictation days I give dictation. Every now and then there is a math concept I need to go over with them, but they really are quite independent with math. This time takes anywhere from 10-45 minutes each, depending on the day and the concepts. I discuss what they're reading with them at unscheduled times throughout the day. After that, we do group subjects, then I flex my time between the younger 3.

I think it really depends on the teacher and the hs goals. I have friends that hs 3 children successfully. For me jumping from 2 to 3 was overwhelming and I never really found a way to do it classically. The last two years of hs we switched to BJU DVDs. It was hard giving up my classical dream, but with BJU we got the work done and I had time to give my kids same day feed back.

This year my oldest went off the charter school and I am back to hs 2 children and it is so much easier.

I teach four. When my youngest started K I spent about an hour or so with her separate from the other two, usually after I was done with my other high-need kids or they were working on something independently. My rule was for them to work on the assignment and if they had a problem to skip it and go on to another problem. If they couldn't do any of the problems then to go on to their independent reading. They were not to interupt my time with K kiddo. Then I would go over any problems the other kids had. Your youngest should be able to do handwriting and some workbook stuff at the table with the others. I only did reading, read-alouds, explode the code, and math in K. It did not make for a long day.

So now I give 3 of my kids independent work, while I work with another and I switch around during the morning. My 7th & 10th graders are very independent but do need me. They just skip the subject if they need me and come back to it when I am available (it usually isn't long). My 5th & 4th grader I sit right next to most of the morning.

It can get hectic. Most of it is training your kids to be patient and respectful while continuing on with their work. My 4th grader still wants me NOW. I have to give consequences for not waiting or being disruptive. The first week may be rough. But you can do this.

I'm having the same issues, so this is mainly a I feel your pain post! :grouphug: My oldest has to do much of her work on her own these days. We meet in the morning and again in the afternoon, and I go over all her work with her when I grade it. Teaching my younger two not to interrupt teaching time is definately a work in progress still. The real truth is that homeschooling 3 or 4 children classically is tough, and it takes a long time each day. I'll be watching this thread for tips too!

I guess I should be a lot better at this since I've been at it a long time but I just started (full fledged started, not summer mini-school) back this week and I'm finding it overwhelming. The older kids (9th, 4th grade) are doing well but my K level daughter is getting left out. I'm having a hard time finding enough hours in the day to get it all done, planned, graded, etc.

I know one of the keys will be to get my 9th grader working more independently but I do need to be somewhat involved in her studies - I am not willing to hand her a stack of books and say "See ya later" -- there are math problems I need to help her with, reading to discuss, etc.

So those of you that have many kids and have found a balance - any tips?

My kids are not quite so spread out. However, generally speaking, I handled it by having a lot of Montessori-style activities for my younger kids. Montessori activities are designed to be self-teaching and used independently. So, I'd give the younger some instruction on how to use the activity then while they were working on that I could work with the older one, giving them instructions for 2 subjects. They could work for an hour on those subjects while I did reading instruction with the younger. I'm not sure this is helping, I'm making it sound way more complicated than it was, lol!

Thanks for the replies so far and please keep them coming! I know part of my trouble is finding the right rhythm of the day - it is the first week back. I am hoping that a few more things will come together after this first week.

Things would be going so much more smoothly if meal prep wasn't such a pain. We did make oatmeal cookies last night and I hard boiled some eggs so that will probably help with the "munchies" a bit later today.