Menu

SL science 5...I'm about to buy...good idea?

farmgirlinwv

My children are not in 6th grade, yet. I haven't heard of that science program. However, we're trying Apologia (Astronomy, botany and Zoology 2) this year I like it cause it is hands on.It is also written by a homeschooling mom. I've gotten kits from Homeschool science, I've also added some dissection of animals.

We'll do some trips to the zoo, aquarium, planeterium and gardens.

The kids are loving it so far.

We used SL Science 5 last year and my ds loved it. Lots of good info, and plenty of independent work...which *I* liked. ;) As for Apologia Elementary...we have found those to be very boring. But that's just us...though from other threads in the past I do know we are not alone in feeling that way. I like that SL Science 5 uses a variety of books, and covers a variety of topics. Adding in Science in a Nutshell kits would make a great addition!

As for SL's other science kits....meh. :tongue_smilie:

My 6th grader used this last year independently. He said it was too easy, but he enjoyed it, and learned alot about puberty, and good hygiene. I'm using the core 2 science now w/ my 3rd and k4. We all like it. It's just nice to be able to use living books and have a schedule all laid out for you, and questions about the reading. I've also used Noeo, no questions there, your child does written narrations and draws a picture about what he's learned, so it's very different. Both programs are great and do get Science done.

Edited by Rebecca77

I'll be the detractor and say that very time we've done Sonlight Science it was a flop. NOEO was a much better program imho. It has a weekly schedule and uses living books just like Sonlight, but the experiments actually WORK!

Here's a link:

http://www.noeoscience.com/index.html

Did you do Science 5? I will agree with you that all of the elementary SL science programs we tried were flops as well....except Science 5.;) I will have to disagree with the NOEO kit we tried though. We tried the Chemistry II and it was soooooo stinking boring. I tried to like it. My ds tried to like it. But it just drug out certain concepts tooooooooooo long. I never want to see another book on the Periodic table as long as I live! :lol: By the time we got to the science kits that come with the program, we had already lost interest. And then the kits were awfully young and simplistic....at least the ones we tried.

YMMV though! ;)

I can't remember which early level it was, but it was pretty early. We did a corn and bean experiment with the TOPS kits. Neither worked out. Then we tried Science 6, and the Usborne books were so outdated it was laughable. I've heard that SL has beefed up this area in the last couple of years, but our experience was what it was.

The NOEO we used was Biology II and it was fantastic.

Ah yes, the elusive corn & bean TOPS experiments...I've heard all sorts of conflicting comments about those over the years. :tongue_smilie::D You must have been using SL Science 3. That is one I didn't use, one reason being I do NOT, NOT, NOT like TOPS books. We used them in SL Science 4 and very much disliked them. :tongue_smilie: I suppose some could be good, but I didn't want a science that relied so heavily on them like SL's did at the time. I believe Science 3 has been updated though, so perhaps they eliminated them. I had absolutely no desire to do Science 4 with my youngest after using it with my olders, and I very much hesitated trying Science 5 with him last year, but I got it for free, so I thought 'Hey, why not?' ;) It WAS very easy, as a previous poster commented, but the information my son took away from it was great, plus he enjoyed having an easier science for a year after BJU's Science (which we very much love!).

I have heard great things about NOEO Biology! I wish we had tried that one instead of the Chem II. I think perhaps the Chem II was just not a good fit for ds and I. We are kinda used to more variety in our science (BJU), and when the Periodic Table and all the Elements just drug on and on (and on and on), our eyes and minds began to glaze over and we lost interest. :lol:

OK, well, I suppose I've hijacked this thread enough. ;) Back to the regularly scheduled discussion....:D

Uh-oh, we are getting read to do the TOPS radishes and then corn and bean experiments with SL 3! This will be my 4th year with SL science and it's always been fine for us, but I've never done the experiments. We just enjoyed reading the books and watched the Discover and Do dvds. Looks like I might be in for some trouble.:glare:

Lisa

Uh-oh, we are getting read to do the TOPS radishes and then corn and bean experiments with SL 3! This will be my 4th year with SL science and it's always been fine for us, but I've never done the experiments. We just enjoyed reading the books and watched the Discover and Do dvds. Looks like I might be in for some trouble.:glare:

Lisa

No, maybe not. Some people have no problem with the experiments, others do. I have heard mention that perhaps the seeds in the SL kits are old. You might want to get fresh ones from the store? Just a thought as I really, honestly, don't know what I'm talking about. :001_smile: