Menu

So i decided to have the oldest tested for APD

The more i ponder it, i actually want to rule out that she has issues in this area and is more ADHD (non-hyper). She would NOT be at the level of her younger sister at all (i don't think).

Ginger's post got me thinking more about it, she is also ultra sensitive at times to noises (and light). Last night in the car i turned a song up - she covered her ears up and started crying. It wasn't even loud - and i'm thinking it was more than the "i hate the 80's music" drama she is prone too.... maybe she just doesn't like the tone of Billy Joel? LOL!

SOO, provided they sort out a referral we will go friday. I wish i had thought of it YESTERDAY when i was up at the primary.... :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, she's had fluid issues since she was 9 months old, has had 3 sets of tubes by the time she was 5. Her hearing always tests fine without fluid, but she hasn't been to the ENT for a few years either. I've felt she was ADD since the first week i started HSing her for 2nd grade. We've worked around it, but there are some listening issues starting to crop up and i'm just going to feel better after this you know? (especially since the doctor i have access too is quick right now to do drugs and not evaluate everything)

Edited by TraceyS/FL

It could be she has both CAPD and ADD. My son had the fluid issues as well, and red flags for CAPD, but until I learned about it here at WTM and on the web, I assumed it was just ADD (runs in my family). And my impression is that the CAPD dx is relatively unknown compared with ADD and therefore not necessarily considered when someone presents with ADD symptoms. Some of the symptoms are quite similar, so it's understandable. The only way to find out for sure is to have the audiological testing done.

Well, considering the "behavioral ped" completely ignored the middle ones CAPD testing results and just went with the ADHD based on a written test i did - i'm not going there with the oldest. In fact, i never would have gotten ANY of the evals i got if DD2 had seen him first.

She too seems more like ADD when i read those lists, but i now know those signs are all CAPD...

Gee, i guess i just really want to make MORE work for myself???? :lol:

Gee, i guess i just really want to make MORE work for myself???? :lol:

Maybe not. There's quite a difference between having an attention problem vs. an auditory processing problem, and far easier to homeschool effectively once you have the big picture. :)

We've just decided to do this as well, Tracey, with our 9 and 10 yo dss. Talking with a speech therapist yesterday, she was also saying that ADD and APD can co-exist. It makes sense to me... If a child isn't processing what he/she hears, it only stands to reason the child would be easily thinking of something else and seem distracted. KWIM?

I am anxious to hear what you learn!

• 2 weeks later...

Testing done. Yup, she has issues also. For sure not on the level of little sister, but enough for accomidations. I'll know more when I get the report obviously.

Biggest issue is hearing in crowds/noise, which I think is why she wear headphones for her distance learning classes even if she is alone in the room.

Anyway, here I sit at the apple store killing time for a standby appointment and thought I'd update this.

Testing done. Yup, she has issues also. For sure not on the level of little sister, but enough for accomidations. I'll know more when I get the report obviously.

Biggest issue is hearing in crowds/noise, which I think is why she wear headphones for her distance learning classes even if she is alone in the room.

Anyway, here I sit at the apple store killing time for a standby appointment and thought I'd update this.

Glad the testing is done, now you can get some answers. My dn wore noise cancelling hearing aid in class, that seemed to help. I wish she was younger so she would wear them all the time. But, she is 22 and no desire to wear a hearing aid.

Good luck, thanks for the update.